• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 21d

Hey all,

So I'm in the process of slowly gathering parts for my mk1 fg for a tune.

I'm not chasing huge power (low 300's is my goal). I'm going to be getting a walbro 460 intank pump as well as 1000cc injectors. 

I'm wondering if the stock fpr will be fine for this power target or if I should upgrade it?

At what point should I consider upgrading the FPR?

Goleby's do a FG fuel system upgrade kit for $1,000AUD which includes Bosch 1150 cc injectors, walbro 460, and a turbosmart fpr800. Seems like a fairly good deal to me, but if I don't need a FPR then I figure there's no point buying this.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

That's all kinds of overkill for what you want. You could fit a walbro 255 with a set of stock f6 injectors and not bother changing the fuel reg for 300rwkw.

The parts in that list will support high 400's on e85, which you might want to get to one day, in which case go for it.

Talking about fpr things, for the majority of xr6 owners, it's not how much power it will support but how much pump it can handle. A stock fpr can't bypass enough fuel at idle with a huge pump, so that's the main reason it gets upgraded. You can make a lot of power using a stock reg but the downside is that it gets hard to tune at idle, once it can't bypass enough fuel.

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Yea I understand the overkill parts 🤣

Its a daily driver and will be for about another 2 years. Got 3 semesters left of uni and then I get a sweat pay rise so I can finally afford to own 2 cars - some sh*tbox and then this rig as a weekender.

I figure that I can start to put "good" parts in now to save the time later. Once I'm bored of the stock 3576 I wanna be a guinea pig for the aerofail boosted range.

Basically trying to set up the car such that its overkill for the stock turbo, and then once I upgrade the turbo I should only need to do the turbo & minimal extras (like valve springs, atomic timing kit, etc)

Just finished installing the 1000hp plazz IC. The piping is done, intake done (antz battery relo and intake), external trans cooler done, oil pump gears booked in on the 15th.

11 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

Talking about fpr things, for the majority of xr6 owners, it's not how much power it will support but how much pump it can handle. A stock fpr can't bypass enough fuel at idle with a huge pump, so that's the main reason it gets upgraded.

What do you consider to be a "huge pump"?? Do you think a 460 + stock fpr is fine??

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

I suppose anything that can support 600hp+ has a huge amount of flow. It's all relative though.

You can run a 460 with a stock reg and let the fuel trims take care of any idle and low speed cruise afr issues, caused by high rail pressure. You shouldn't really do that for a long term solution as it's not the right way to go about it, but you could if you wanted to.

So yerp fine for a short time if you had to but if an adjustable fpr is available, fit that at the same time as the 460.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

Honestly Go for a Walbro 255 intank, it can flow 400-420rwkw on 98 fuel and the factory Reg can handle it fine. Get good injectors ( not raw Bosch ) or any other kind of advertised 1150’s 1200’s 1050’s but a Genuine flow matched 1000’s 

This will handle max capacity of a GT3576 and in 95% of cases GT3582 on 98 fuel 

When you want to upgrade turbochargers you then can bolt on an Anti-surge tank for that exact purpose and gain flow from the bigger pump that comes with it, drop in a GFB or Turbosmart FPR and you’re set 

Start putting in anything bigger than a 400 pump in tank requires wiring to be upgraded due to excess load, Keep it simple with the fuel system as you don’t want to over heat the fuel unnecessarily when given the option especially in summer 

If you want any of these parts Genuine and some help installing shout out Alex :) 

• Thanks 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Thanks for the input @JETURBO!

Would I be able to get away with leaving the stock fuel pump in if I'm only chasing low 300's then? 🤔

What injectors are the go to nowadays then? I thought bosch injectors were decent? 😅

• Gold Donating Members

The Factory FG turbo fuel pump has nothing left at around 300rwkw when they were new 

You definitely need a better pump to sit in the 310-330rwkw zone comfortably 

Raw Bosch aren’t flow matched, you want a good set that have had this done to them bare minimum then characterised with input Data based on the flow matching 

I strongly recommend Genuine ID1050X or a bit cheaper the KPM Streetfighter injectors which represents great value in the 1000cc range 

Buzz me a txt and I can sort you out ;) 

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

Just throw one of these in. No FPR required. Can run some ethanol as well. Also for 98 surely there are cheaper injector options than 1050.  

I ran over 400 on 98 with nizpro stock drilled injectors. 

Seems like so much cash is spent to make just over 300

https://www.tiperformance.com.au/products/walbro-250lph-fuel-pump-kit-e85-f10000302/

Edited by arronm

• Gold Donating Members

That link is pretty much the pump in reference, Ti Automotive is Walbro as name amalgamation came in around 2019 

Its the perfect pump for what most 98 fuel contenders will require and doubles as a great lift pump to feed surge tanks and it’s silent. 

We have come a very looooooong way since Nizzy drilled injectors and what was once isn’t anymore..... Injector quality is probably the most single important item on your vehicle as it directly effects all aspects of idle quality, fuel economy, precise delivery to each cylinder, cold start manners, Throttle response, stability with lifted boost levels and much more. It’s like having a custom house with a crap foundation... why would you even attempt it, you wouldn’t especially for what we are talking about in difference of a few hundred dollars ;)   

Once you have spent the few bucks more and a customer looks to the next stage of power or E85 you’ll be laughing when this injector can step up and work correctly and you don’t have to buy new ones because you tried to save a few coins on round 1 which now are being spent on removal and re installation of the injector you should of used in the first place. The poor man pays twice !

just Sayn 🙃