Reinforcing the diff cradle

biddie_fiddler

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

Most recommend the Superpro for the front side two and the main rear. Unsure of the tensile of the bolt but I'd reckon if it isn't flopping around as much than it's less likely to break due to flexing but that's my 2 cents on it. I'd think the hat would go first but as you said axle tramping will kill most things but it's less likely with unworn bushes. Decent control blade bushes made a difference also...

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

I have superpro hybrid diff bushes, definitely louder at slow speeds than the stock replacements but a tonne better!!

With a goal of 330rwkw I'm not concerned about the diff bushes being an issue, its the cradle I've been worried about! Hence the creation of this thread.

And if the weak point of the rear end becomes a bolt after reinforcing the cradle, is that even a bad thing? Cheap part to replace!

When they break, do they damage the diff housing or is it the head of the bolt that usually breaks? If it damages the threads of the diff housing then scratch my "cheap weak point" theory 🤣

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

you basically can't get the diff bolt/bush out without dropping the cradle... so it's an expensive exercise to replace it every time it snaps :)

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Hmmm didn't think of that 🤔

Maybe the ims twin bush setup is a good idea then 🤣

Add it to the list! 😋

For now though, free labour and cheap sheet metal to keep the stock setup from breaking is the way I'm going

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

I think you'll be alright with just some steel plate added. You are an engineer after all so I'd hope common sense and mechanical sympathy plays a big part in decision making.
The Internet tends to up play things more than they are due to social media's being instant access to the world. A few broken bolts, housings or cradles at the extreme are generally from people with decent power, full slicks (or a sticky track) and regular drag racing with little regards to components as a 60ft means everything. Break, fix, upgrade and repeat...

Again, that's my two cents and the take away from my dribble above is, weld some plate because it's cheap, easy enough to do for piece of mind if anything and bro time with some beers on the job!

Post pics once done...

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Don't get confused here mate, I'm an electronics engineer. Good with a keyboard not on the tools 🤣🤣🤣

(unless its a soldering station).

Literally handballing this project to my brother with a carton and letting him go wild on the cradle 😋

Will definitely take some shots when we do this though!

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

I’ve only seen two damaged Centre diff bush cradles in my time of having a very large amount of turbo/NA/V8 falcons on the hoist. I’m not really seeing this as a thing that needs to be “Fixed” unless it’s already damaged ? 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

I see your point, however on the flip side. Why not spend the time to reinforce it before it becomes another car added to the list of broken cradles 😋

Again, if all I pay for is a sheet of steel, carton of piss, and a can of spray paint then why not do it. For the amount of steel we'd use, I can likely get it from the scrap pile at my brothers work, as good as free!