Stock FGX Turbo Ute - First time mods/upgrades

FGXXR6TUTE

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 3y 8m 4d

Well I have my answer. They don't fit. I had a mate with an FPV and we tried to put my wheels on his car and they fouled.

So I have just ordered some DBA T3 4000 https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/dba-t3-4000-performance-slotted-brake-rotor-pair-front-dba42107s Slotted Rotors and Bendix Ultimate Pads.

I think I'll have a crack at installing them myself. I downloaded the workshop manual and it seems straight forward enough, but does anyone have a guide with pictures for a simpleton?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

ahh, great that you got the answer. I guess all "lux pack" wheels don't fit over brembo's then.

just don't damage the brake line in the process of putting the rotors on while the caliper is dangling and don't damage the caliper/pistons when you're pushing the pistons back (use the old pad to do it) and don't let the fluid get below the "suck" point of the reservoir when bleeding the brakes (e.g. keep it topped up) and don't leave any brake fluid on painted surfaces for more than a few seconds :)

edit: oh and clean the rotor mounting surface of rust to ensure the hubs/rotors don't have any runout (also a good idea to measure this).

Edited by k31th

• Donating Members

You're convincing me to pay someone to do it 🤑

2 hours ago, k31th said:

ahh, great that you got the answer. I guess all "lux pack" wheels don't fit over brembo's then.

Definitely not the 19" ones the come on the FG, FG MKII or FGX. I guess that's why the HWP always went 18" FPV wheels on their XR6 Turbos.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

if you're not confident, you probably should pay somebody to do it. But if you do enough research on what to do (videos, how-to's etc) you should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

So after all that the new rotors and pads arrived, but there was a 5 week wait on the intercooler from CMS. That gave me way too much time to think about the money I was going to spend on the Ute. So I sold it last week and am buying an XR6 Sprint 🤑

• Like 1