BarraStang Swap/T56 Measurements

• Member For: 3y 9m 16d

Trying to gather information to start preparing for a Barra swap into an 02 Mustang GT.

If there is anyone who could measure from the front of the engine to the shifter on a T56 transmission it would be appreciated.

I am also curious to know if there are any downsides to using a BA motor vs BF if I am going to be installing forged rods and pistons anyways.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

I don't have the measurement itself handy, but it doesn't matter which motor you choose if you're upgrading the internals :)

• Thanks 1

Long story short, (kinda)...

I installed a Procharger on my 2 valve 4.6 Mustang. Ported heads with decent sized cams but 100% stock bottom end. Put down 442/420 to the wheels. Ran a 11.9 @ 114 mph

For sure had more in it if I could drive but only made 1 trip to the track last year. Enjoyed this set up for nearly 2 years.

Racing an Evo, the stock powdered rod finally went boom. (Thankfully I won the race)

I blew not one but TWO holes in the block.

I knew it would happen eventually, had a few things ready like Forged pistons to build a higher powered 4.6 but here I am..... Going all out for a Barra. Sold the 4.6 pistons today actually.

So far what I have gathered is, get a BA engine, forged rods and pistons,oil pump gears, head studs, and valve springs. Believe I'll need a rear sump, and want to do a T56. And obviously a turbo and manifold.....

I appreciate any advice or help anyone wants to provide.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Mate for all the cost and stuffing around you'd be better off doing a turbo LS. They are a dime a dozen over there and the price to performance can't be touched by a barra.

Check out Richard Holdener on YouTube. He's shown nearly every LS combo there is and makes tons of power with minimal modifications.

Sloppy also has a goldmine of information.

But...If you want the rear sump hump, buy a FG engine.

Mannnnnnn I saw that one coming...

But not from someone on here! Haha.

Yes I know a little of LS land, no I am not interested. Yes it would be cheaper.

Sloppy and his memes are #1 though and I have watched some of the youtubes of megasquirt tuning classes he did.

Anyways......

Im not 100% sure I'll need a rear sump with the k member I will be using but I may.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Haha I love all the cars and all the engines.

There are a couple of things that need swapping with the sump. The windage tray is different, the oil pick up is different as well as the main bolt location to secure it, the dipstick is in a different location but the provision is still in the block.

As for other stuff, there have been plenty of built engines with write ups on here. Just chuck in "built engine" or "built motor" into the search bar and you'll be golden. I'd link some stuff for you but I'm on my phone and it's a pain in the butt to do so.

Good info about the sump swap if needed, thank you!

I have been working my way through lots of discussions reading all I can during breaks at work.

I too love all the cars, but I love the Fords a little more 🤪

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

https://pasteboard.co/JMuMYml.jpg

Well its finally here.

Does anyone have a measurement of the 6boost high mount manifold? I just need from where the flange is against the engine out to the furthest point towards strut tower. I know people have used them in foxbodys I would just like a measurement if possible,  thanks! 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

pasteboard.co is :pooh: ... doesn't allow hot-linking of images...

anyway, looking like it's about to make a big jump in the progress queue :) :icon_ford:

• Thanks 1