Egas RTV to Petrol XR6T Conversion

• Member For: 3y 9m 17d

Hi All,

I recently inherited my dads old RTV ute, he always liked to go fast and loved giving it a bootfull. Alas it is dedicated gas and making, I'm guessing less than the original 150 odd kw.

Now I know this is a large undertaking and most people would just tell me to buy a turbo ute to start with but two reasons motivate me to do this project, it's sentimental and it'll be a turbo RTV which is a pretty cool thing IMO.

Has anyone done this? I know I will need to change fuel systems, engine, computers and possible the key and ignition. My plan would be to try and obtain a wrecked XR6t ute and basically swap it's engine and brain into my ute. Any advice or previous experience with this would be good to have a chat.

I have seen builds from rwatto66 and 3Katz and am looking to emulate this, obviously with the added complication of a fuel system swap.

Edited by UCEOV

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

there's certainly a lot of work involved... if you're not quote mechanically minded, it's going to be a nightmare of a project.

basically you'll have to swap the entire electronics and driveline except for the RTV specific driveline stuff, remove the egas stuff (not so hard) and then get it all setup for turbo (oil drain, intake butterfly etc etc, read the N/A section of this forum for those who've done the N/A to Turbo route) and then get it tuned.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 2m 18d

It will be a great project mate, anything I can help with post it up or feel free to pm me and I'll help best I can. If you wanted to duck over here you might find some helpful info as well:

https://fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=395

I had some great assistance from some of the guys here as well as on the RTV forum. 

As Keith said there's some figuring out to do, but it will be worth it 👍

Cheers 3Katz, I am sourcing the parts now. Understand I will obviously need the turbo engine, loom and ECU do you know if I will need the Turbo BCM, key and ignition? Also does anyone know if the fuel tank layouts are different for the gas vs petrol utes. I.e will the petrol tank fit in place of the gas twin scuba tanks?

I do enjoy a challenge and I'm sure this won't disappoint.

Edited by UCEOV

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 19d

I doubt you need a turbo PCM, just turn on turbo logic. The gas engine has the bigger conrods so why not fit up the turbo exhaust manifold and turbo and tune it on LPG?

Have you seen the Turbo Taxi build on Street Machines Youtube page? I've always wondered what an LiLPG boosted setup would go like.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

the turbo PCM has a whole separate plug and loom into it that senses and controls boost electronically... of course you need it if you want that sort of boost control.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 19d

Correct. My Territory is a NA, I switched on Turbo logic in the PCM, changed the MAP sensor to a 3 bar unit and use an aftermarket boost controller in the absence of the factory PCM being able to control boost.

Not sure how the vapour injection system fuel mapping works.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 2m 18d

The easiest way is like you said buy a complete running vehicle and swap everything in. I would use ecu, ICC and ignition barrel as a minimum (don't forget your door lock as well). If you want it to look nicer than the RTV grey interior I'd swap out the complete dash including cluster too. If you've had a read of my threads make sure before you start that everything is ok with with your RTV - no warning lights on the dash for ABS etc as it can turn into a headache tracing issues later on. If everything goes smoothly (and it should) I expect you will have an ABS or more likely a traction control light come on after the swap due to the RTV not having traction control from factory. The easiest way is to take it to a tuner or Ford and have them tell the ECU it's a non tc vehicle. You may have an airbag light come on as I think there is a different amount of air bags - tuner fixed that for me as well. If you can afford to buy a complete wreck it'll make life allot easier and you can also use the best bits out of each car for your RTV. If you duck over to the RTV forum I've just started a power upgrade thread which I'm updating as I go which you may find interesting. Keep us posted with your progress I look forward to watching the build :)

I think it's much easier/cheaper and more reliable to convert to petrol and go as many have before. The old turbo taxis has it's fair share of problems. I find the gas systems finicky and problematic at times, this particular motor has also done a few k's too so not sure how it would hold up in the long run anyway. 

I like the idea of a bog stock RTV sleeper type but if I can get hold of a complete BFII-III I will be inclined to swap the interior in. They seem pretty hard to come by at the moment, plenty of FGs on the market but not sure if their interior will fit in a BA. I have also been told the fuel lines between petrol and gas are the same surely not? I will keep an eye on your thread 3Katz.

• Like 1