New build - EFR 9174?

cdaiscool

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 6d

I had to relocate the power steering fluid resorvoir to make it all fit, otherwise bolt on. The 0.83 housing is for fast spool, it will limit top end.

When I did this 5-6 yrs ago there was no gen2 or G series. There are probably better options today, not sure I would go the same route, particularly as the efr turbos seem to have doubled in price.

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

@Tom Tuckerwhy would you say the 9174? Have you looked into the efr 8474? It's a 950hp unit would spool quick too. Supposed to spool quicker than a gen 2 gtx3582r by quite a margin. I'm just looking into whether the .83 t3 housing option would flow enough and its looking like it does. Looks really awesome but really expensive.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d

The 9174 spools quicker than a GTX3582 gen 2 also, and make more power. 8374 looks great too, but I think it will choke in the higher rev range. Could be wrong.

Do you have built motor and driveline to handle the low down torque? You can't fully send a GTX3576 gen 2 without it, let alone anything bigger and more responsive 

@Tom Tuckerthe 8374 is 750hp and the newer 8474 only difference is a 1mm larger flash technology compressor wheel and is 950hp. No havnt done rods or pistons or driveline. Just valve springs, headstuds, flexplate, oil pump, HD cam chain kit. Might have to pull my head in and save spending another 20k at least I'm guessing if I did trans, driveshaft, efr turbo, pistons and rods etc etc. Was kinda thinking it would be awesome to have hardout spool like stock 3576 but also have 400 to 420 rwkw and mean topend on 98 pump. But you have a point, it will just break stuff! Might have to stick with gt3582r for now. I just like changing and modifying stuff, iv got the bug. Iv always modified every car and dirt bike iv had.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Here's some gamblers fallacy for you that I wholeheartedly endorse...

Get the bigger turbo now, then you will have to upgrade the rest of it so it doesn't break.

@Puffwagongreat advice, words of wisdom right there! Here's a theory, the guys out there on stock 3576 turbos making 320rwkw are getting power down low and don't have or need built drivelines. So what's the difference having a turbo that will make lowdown power and transition into strong mid and topend and then draw the line at 400-420rwkw? 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
37 minutes ago, Slowxr6t said:

what's the difference having a turbo that will make lowdown power and transition into strong mid and topend and then draw the line at 400-420rwkw? 

Let's assume you have a turbo that can make 22psi at 2500rpm and can make 400rwkw. You need a lot of boost to make 400rwkw (at the wheels, not hubs aka rhkw) on 98, about 20 to 22psi. If you send that much boost into a stock engine that early, you might bend a rod.

You have to ramp the boost and timing in at a rate that keeps the torque at a safe level, for every given rpm.

320kw aint no 400kw.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d

What Puff said - there is a big difference between limiting boost and torque on a stock engine with a bigger turbo, to sending it on a built motor.

I can attest to this with my G35-900... the boost and torque it makes at 3000rpm would destroy a stock motor. And driveline.

8474 looks awesome. Wholeheartedly endorse sending it and reporting back

• Like 1