SZ Territory Turbo Conversion

Romulus

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 15d

5f4f3da549deeca4219c06012e2f7f49.jpg
7083e0f089eba2e0f26197b58d550457.jpg
1061a29269c093ae9f55b21459874109.jpg

Got a used ZF 6 speed complete with transfer case and front and rear driveshafts. Should be picking up a complete rear 3.46 ratio diesel subframe and AWD K frame next week.

Engine brackets arrived so I’ll be able to dummy assemble the engine, trans into the AWD frame to start the sump modification for the front diff.

• Like 2

• Donating Members

$500 all up. The trans is dead, but that doesn't matter. I needed it for the transfer case and output shaft from the ZF. The seller threw in the front and rear driveshafts as well the generous chap!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

Having thought about the AWD conversion I'm going to put it on hold. While its likely to be a great conversion the cost is a bit prohibitive, taking into account the amount of fabrication required to the sump, oil pickup, transmission R & R plus other associated costs. Maybe reconsider this at a later stage.

Meanwhile I've ordered bush overhaul kit for the front and rear suspension for a freshen up.  Also, since I've had the vehicle the diff has a whine (much like our Premier, Mark McGowan) which has become more noticeable since the diff bushes and control arms have been upgraded to Nolathane & Superpro parts. I've ordered a 3.07 ratio for the M86 diff, somewhere between the 2.73 in the sedan and the 3.23 it currently runs. 3.23 is renowned for diff whine. The 3.07 will give it a little more legs in gear.

New wheels are on the way, got Simmons 19X9 FRC NCT's. Will try 275/45/19's which should fit.

Did an oil change yesterday as I noticed the oil I used last time was as black as bitumen after only 4000kms. Used Valvoline 15W-40 engine armour. Never again, totally junk oil. Switched back to Penrite 15W-40 semi synthetic. No point running fully synthetic IMO as I'll be changing the oil every 5,000kms. 

At some time I'll get the timing chain and tensioner plus guides replaced with the Atomic gear. While the engine was rebuilt with new genuine chain, tensioner and guide I think it's peace of mind to replace it after nearly 20k of engine service. The chain does rattle sometime during startup, good enough sign to do the upgrade.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Finally got the car back to Rob's after changing the mid section of the exhaust and connecting the RPM pickup for the Eboost controller. Power went up from 356rwkw previously to it's current output of 403rwkw. Both changes were necessary, too much back pressure in the exhaust and boost not holding before. Nice flames on trailing throttle, quite the sight at night when rolling on and off the throttle under boost in 3rd and 4th gear.

Next mod will be the fuel system, an external surge tank with twin pump setup to run E85.

Couldn't get the 275/45/19's to fit on the front, too much positive ET so I'll run a staggered setup with 255/50/19's at the front an 275/45/19's at the rear. Only 1% difference in height so that should keep the ABS module from having a fit.

• Like 1