SZ Territory Turbo Conversion

Romulus

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 14d

The Monsta Torque 1000rwhp ZF/6R80 trans is in. Shifts are superb and handle the WOT shifts with absolute ease. Rob is a real master when it comes to these transmissions, I believe the best in Australia from what I’ve heard.

I’ve also begun accumulating some parts to work out if my next conversion is feasible.......

620b38573751c4c6d344c4466fa4cc85.jpg
a1a6666682494f2991e542bed0b2273f.jpg
24934843b4b5b511749a0118e25ba3a4.jpg

SZ diesel front diff and diesel sump. Will figure out how to get this adapted to the petrol sump. While rwd is fun, awd with 500plus rwkw/awkw is more tractable.

The SX/SY front diff wont work due to EPAS on the SZ and the different front K frame. Should the sump mod work I’ll run the NV125 transfer case from the SX/SY AWD, this is a tried and tested unit. I’m not sure if the SZ TOD transfer case will be up to the job.

Have already sourced a used AWD ZF trans, transfer case and front and rear driveshafts. Can get hold of a complete low k rear cross member with 3.46 diff from a SZ diesel, and the front SZ awd front k frames are a dime a dozen at the local wreckers.

Hoping to get this done over the next 3-4 months.

• Like 3

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 6d
On 06/07/2020 at 8:48 PM, Puffwagon said:

Nice work. I've yet to do a flat out 3/4 shift.

If you have hassles with 3-4 shift hanging/torque reduction issues hit me up.  I can help you out with the zf tune. also it's reasonable that you've not tried this as its about a 170kph shift 😄

• Thanks 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d
20 hours ago, Romulus said:

The Monsta Torque 1000rwhp ZF/6R80 trans is in...

Do you know how Rob leaned to build the 6R80.  I do. Its called reverse engineering. I do it all rhe time. 

Edited by arronm

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 14d

So I've been chasing my tail with an intermittent misfire. The obvious culprits are the plugs and coils. Replaced the spark plugs with new ones and swapped over the coils with a spare set from the original SZ NA engine. Problem went away for around 30 minutes.......and then it came back. Ok, cant confirm if the coils are the problem because they're not new. Ordered a set of new genuine coils and installed them yesterday. Drove ok for around 30 minutes.....and then the misfire came back. Right, maybe the coil driver in the PCM is rooted. In July, I wired up the Eboost controller to the positive feed on coil #6 and blew that coil up as soon as it started. See post #10. Lesson there, don't follow the instructions. You can't hard wire the rpm pickup from the Eboost to the wiring harness on the SZ.

Anyway, this morning the intermittent misfire became permanent which was good, as it made trouble shooting easier. Turns out the plug to the #6 coil was making intermittent contact with the pins. Wiggling it around while the engine was running could make the misfire come and go. Cut the farker off and soldered on a spare unit I had from an old engine harness. Presto, misfire gone.

After checking the calibration for hours, spending hours and countless $$$$ on parts it ends up being something obscure like a dodgy plug. Cars I tell ya...

Going to check out a 2014 Terri diesel AWD wreck on Monday. Eyeing up the complete front end K frame with all suspension, driveshafts and the complete 3.46 rear end for the AWD conversion.

• Like 1