Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

couple of barra r31s floating around, I just killed the rb30 in my r31 a couple weeks ago.

last week I picked up a bf mk2 setup, so the NA motor and ZF combo. 

Orderd the rbfactory mount kit, waiting for that to arrive.

spoke to a bloke who has a turbo zf r31, he used the t56 mounts but just changed the mount pattern for the zf box, he reckons it was super close.

this is not a go fast car, so a na barra and zf will be way more lively than the rb30 ever was.

pretty keen to get started.

Edited by BeerTurbo
cant spell
  • Like 3

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Finally dropped the exhaust on the dyno today. With no tune changes it went from 350 to 385awkw and picked up nearly 3 seconds of spool time. That is probably more to do with having more wg preload, rather than the lack of back pressure. Also the wgdc dropped from 100% to 75%.

I added a couple of pounds in the tune from 4500rpm onward for a total of about 22psi and it went 409awkw on 98 octane...from Ampol... I think it made 965nm torque which you can see in the graph below.

I deliberately brought the boost in "slower" (in the tune) to take care of the driveline and this can be seen in the red boost line, although it ended up coming in heaps quicker anyway. I stopped there and will do the same with e85 some other time. I spose I'll see about filling in the gap in the torque curve (when the converter locks?) but meh, that's for another day. Haha I literally only did 2 runs then packed up and went home.

Here's a couple of pics for the pic lovers, although I did manage to chop off the left hand axis...oh well, it was scaled from 0 to 500kw if anyone is interested, so every horizontal line is 50kw.

z397V8L.jpg

mVKMQNn.jpg

• Like 6

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Haha it's a pity that none of it transferred to the road, as the previous wgdc conditions would have been in play from the stock exhaust when it was reconnected. Nvm, there's always next time :)

Edited by Puffwagon
A friday night edit is as good as a quick one ;)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 24d

Just goes to show how restrictive the factory rear section is. I picked up 40rwkw by changing the system I had built for my car, I reckon there's still another 10-20rwkw when I change the rear muffler. Currently it's a single 3.5" inlet and twin 2.25" outlet. You can hear the hissing in the tailpipe under WOT.

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d
If that rear muffler is the same as xforce used for the xr6t first time around which was pre 2010 before they switched to single straight through 3.5" rear mufflers then it's worth 2 psi. You could tell by looking through it from the 3.5" section when it was removed it was choked to like 1.5" either side...
Dave Sheehy (blueboost and now CPV owner) was the one who brought it to my attention and I could have sworn I put pics up on this forum about it!?
I had no cat also at the time with the split dump pipe.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

@Puffwagon When you finish tuning yours jump on a plane for a Nth Qld tuning visit
I'm still considering (as I'm a gunna) either a large Chinesium wastegate off ebay or an actuated valve that is boost referenced. Split it 45° off the exhaust just after my gutless cat and dump it so I can keep the quiet-ish stock exhaust and it only opens under a set boost level (say 10psi)...
That idea was passed onto me from Dave as well years ago who said that it flowed like a 4" exhaust but that the sound wasn't the most pleasant! Lol.
I'm not keen on paying $2500 for the xforce system when I paid $1250 fitted for the full SS one on the sedan around 2006 and the only difference is a rear Varex muffler which are $500 but I've been told they are excellent, especially for highway cruising.

On a side side note...how's that fake Covid scare! Some people are mighty desperate for attention these days...

• Like 1