Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did some tuning today. Apparently gapping the plugs did the trick cos straight away it ran up 605awkw with no tune changes.   I frigged around with fuel and boost and this and that, and mana

Got to the dyno today and it went pretty much as I expected. The exhaust showed to be a huge restriction but we all knew that anyway. The first run right off the bat showed 367awkw on 16psi and

I got the head off today and there's not a lot to say really.   The head and valves are still in the same condition as they were when I first assembled it.   The block has minimal

Posted Images

Cheers guys. I'll port the head before putting it back together. I've been procrastinating lately but I'll get it sorted.

In regard to custom cams, I've left it too late for that but will certainly go that route down the track when I go solid etc.

It started as a 1000 crank hp build but now I think I'll take it further, which is why I don't mind building a foundation for a while.

• Like 1

Just pulled the trigger on the Kelford 218-C cams and a set of Atomic vernier gears. Will be interesting to see the difference it make on the dyno.

Eventually there will be a high stall converter added to the mix so that should enable decent launches again. :launch:

• Like 2
On 06/04/2021 at 8:57 PM, Puffwagon said:

Just pulled the trigger on the Kelford 218-C cams and a set of Atomic vernier gears. Will be interesting to see the difference it make on the dyno.

Eventually there will be a high stall converter added to the mix so that should enable decent launches again. :launch:

Those will sound excellent. 

Will be curious to see what sort of response you lose. Probably not noticeable with the auto

Yeah I reckon they'll be pretty out there.

I'm halfway through porting the head so it's not really an apples to apples comparison with spool and power etc.

I dunno how the cams will affect spool, but I have a 98 and E85 tune for the current setup with dyno graphs, so I can overlay them to see whats happened.

Here's a couple of pics of the intake side. It's not done yet but it's nearly there. I need a longer carbide bur so I'll finish it off at work on Monday.

N5oCxUV.jpg

v97UJcT.jpg

QYUCZfq.jpg

FHNXaVW.jpg

• Like 3

So far I've taken off the rough surface with a carbide bur and have hit it with a 60 grit paper wheel. At this stage I'm not checking the flow but it might be something to do in the future. If you meant port matching, I'll be making sure the gaskets aren't intruding into the air flow and might have a quick check of the manifolds to make sure the isn't a step up for the air.

As far as the difference it will make, I'm not sure. The barra ports are already well shaped but there is a rough surface that can be cleaned up, casting marks here and there and also a fairly decent bump right before the valve seat that I'm removing. I'm not expecting miracles but since I've got the head off I may as well put some time into cleaning it up.

Edited by Puffwagon
Just cos
  • Like 4

Can't remember if I put this here before... Pretty sure I got that off a Territory group on Facebook. Exhaust side obviously and he only matched the gasket to the port size (not enlarging the ports) fwiw. 6f014cf9daa2267daabadf71ec3d3a5f.jpg

• Thanks 1

All farken righty then...

Cams

FiTeNlK.jpg

9SMzqin.jpg

Vernier gears

Y5D80ix.jpg

Finished porting the head and the exhaust gasket. I didn't go all out and cut down the exhaust guides cos I cbf.

You can see where the previous gasket was pushing water when the boost was wound up.

9MS48Kz.jpg

ODbdvwP.jpg

• Like 6

Wait till I get some results to see if it's worth it.

It's not a cheap or quick exercise to get done and I only did it cos I was pulling the head off anyway.

Is there any way to notch the timing cover so it's not a mission to set the cam timing when you want to change/test?
Similar to those spankers with those JZ engine thingies...

Well I've got it finished now, so I can bolt it down tomorrow.

I can't say I enjoyed it much as I've been on my feet all day and evening.

I guess there will be some action tomorrow afternoon :launch:

• Like 1