Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Removed wg dump tube, squashed it for steering shaft clearance and refitted it. Sounds simple but it took me an hour and a half cos cars are carnts and it's plumbed back, so sh*t had to be in the right spot. It never used to touch but there was frig all clearance and when it went together the last time, stuff must have misaligned slightly. Oh well, one less thing on the list and I no longer have my engine noises delivered straight to my steering wheel so that's a plus.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I did have it straight to atmo but it was so farken loud I cracked the sh*ts and plumbed it back. As far as time went, it was ok, I was just being a cranky bastard cos it was so fiddly and poking me and raining on me etc. Haha have a whinge why don't I?!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Plugged in the knock ears today for a listen. I also made that boost curve stand up quickly and have it flat once again. No knock whatsoever at 32psi, 12 degrees of timing with an E20 blend. I could probably add more timing but it'll end up on straight 98 in a week or so as I keep adding fuel, so no need to touch it really. Plenty left in the injectors now too which is good.

When I had it on the dyno recently it made the 766awkw, after that we did another run with the intercooler a bit hot and it made 748awkw, with only 13 degrees of timing and 38psi. Not quite an apples to apples comparison to now, but I reckon she'd still be making some power.

Obviously things change as the octane goes down so I'll see where it lands in a week or so.

Happy days :drinks:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It doesn't launch that hard cos big turbo and big cams, but still does a mid 3 second 0 to 100. I've launched it as hard as possible so will need either nitrous, a different converter or I was thinking I'd make a dump valve for the trans to dump converter pressure back into the pan.

It has a built trans with 6r80 input, billet intermediate, billet planetary, clutches etc. I made another thread in the 700 club for the build details.

Weak link will be the axles or front diff but the tyres let go pretty easily so should be fine on the street. The danger will be with semi slicks on a prepped track. Power shows it'll run a bottom 10, a hard launch might run a 9.9x. I'll take it to the track eventually, I'm happy to just enjoy it for a while for now.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Finished dialing in the tune for E20 and was just cruising home all normal like, literally just doing 60kph. I had the knock ears on cos I was using them, I heard a noise and that was it. There is a stretched link on half of the timing chain and it snapped, at this stage I think I had it too tight. The irony is that I had the rocker cover off to helicoil the cam caps, I checked everything and it all looked ok...well I didn't rotate the engine to check the chain but why would I? Anyhow the chain came out in one piece and wasn't bound up in the bottom end so might have saved the oil pump. The cams still spin freely, the bottom end spins freely and didn't lose oil pressure when it broke. The damage isn't as bad as last time and although both times had a snapped chain, the reasons are different. Best case is a set of new valves, head gasket and a new timing chain.

Anyfarkenway there's that, I'll pull it down when I have half a chance of affording to fix it.

• Shocked 1