Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Blink and you miss. It doesn't look any different from before, the only difference in the turbo is a bigger comp wheel and housing machined to suit. Back housing just bolted up.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Went for a drive to get beer. The turbo whistles whereas the previous one was dead silent. Sounds similar to a gtx3582r.

Slightly more lag with the 1.44 rear housing, makes 3psi at 2200rpm so it's not too bad just driving around. Doesn't cut sick until close to 4.5/5k but with the converter it's on pretty quick. I've got a smaller 1.28 housing here so might swap it one day just for the hell of it.

It's a hot day and it was a first test drive so took it a bit easy on it.

Overall the car is much the same, I guess the main difference is the turbo isn't working as hard to make the boost, which is what I wanted. There's potential for more power but I need many dollars worth of fuel system upgrades so yerp, same sh*t as always there lol.

Edited by Puffwagon
  • Like 3

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

So yerp went for another drive today. I had previously turned it down to 28psi in 2nd gear and 34psi in 3rd, as that was the limit of grip in those gears. Now that it comes on later I reckon I can get a bit more into it in 2nd which will help with getting to the speed limit.

Before the turbo would be on at part throttle like nothing at all, but now you actually have to want to drive it hard to get to full boost, which is exactly what I want in a turbo car. There isn't a lot of boost to be had from 0-50 but after that it's on like donkey kong. I don't drive in the suburbs so I'm not concerned about traffic light drags.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it and when the time comes I'll have to work something out to actually launch it lol.

Happy days :)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

seems like the last turbo was better... hmmm... those stories of boost off the line were fantastic to hear about and see about :)

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Spent the last hour and a half cleaning it...fml. She clean though :)

Yeah it's what you'd expect a medium turbo to be like, but it's bigger. Last one still did a 3.5s 0-100 with a 1.9 60ft, haven't tried this one yet :evil:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

So yerp decided to see if I can turn it way down. Managed to get it down to about 16psi or so. Full boost at 4200rpm with 60% on the gate to get it there, then 5 to 10% to run 16psi. Fuel is off it's face rich at WOT, as to be expected when you tune around falling fuel pressure at high boost. I've done some adjusting but it needs a bit more work to get it back to normal.

Funny thing is that it still is very quick, it doesn't have the whack and pin you in the seat that it has on kill, but it is surprisingly fast for that boost level. It's nice to be able to listen to the turbo for more than 2 seconds at a time as well.

I'm gonna sort out a 98 tune for it in the coming weeks, I want to daily it for a while and I need some semblance of economy. I'll get to installing the water meth kit one day, so I can have the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Got it to E40 today and tuned it a bit.

According to virtual dyno it makes 400awkw on 15psi at 4800rpm and 475awkw at 6000rpm with 22psi.

It has a 14psi spring in the wg but after 5000rpm it boost creeps. Last post I didn't rev it out which is why the low boost levels are different. While I have a 50mm gate on it, I've seen the exact same behaviour with a 60mm gate so it's likely an issue with the wastegate priority on the manifold. I dgaf though, 22psi will be fine on 98 and obviously when the water meth kit is installed it'll be a complete non issue to run more boost.

What I might do is let it go straight to 22psi at 4200rpm then carry that out to redline. At the moment it is very linear except the last little bit. It'll be more fun if it comes on harder earlier.

Anyhow there is that, trans mount has sh*t itself, wg pipe is touching the steering column, have a couple of stripped rocker cover threads so there's always something to do.

Edited by Puffwagon
Muh spelling