Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 25d

Poor man buys about 4 actually lol, is the point 😂

They're also a consistently proven bang for buck turbo. If you're not racing, I see no point in spending extra money on a garrett when you don't need to. Use the money for something else

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 24d

The saying "a poor man buys twice" has less to do with buying a cheap turbo and more to do the innate nature of people being lazy. People are naturally lazy to the point where most will do something half assed trying to save some effort, then will have to redo it properly to actually achieve what they set out to.

Buying a Pulsar, Aeroflow or even an unbranded turbo straight from the manufacturer is completely acceptable, providing you are aware of what you're buying. I've brought awareness to a couple of the shortfalls, lack of Loctite in assembly and a sh*thouse wg port in the turbine housing, there may be others that show up over time that are just as easily addressable. It ain't hard to redo a turbine housing to ensure the bush is correct, the port is correct, the actuator has the correct angles and settings etc etc. To be fair a lot of people don't have the skills or knowledge to be digging into a turbo to diagnose and or modify it, so buying a cheap option might not be the best idea for them, as the cost of modifying the turbo will add up to buying a Garrett version.

Yes you should do things properly and buying cheap sh*t should be avoided where possible. I don't think these turbos fall under the banner of cheap sh*t and with correct setup aren't something you'll have to buy twice...unless you want a bigger one :w00t2:

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 4d
On 13/12/2022 at 12:17 PM, Puffwagon said:

Haha I'm not sure saving a bit of Loctite makes much a difference :rolleyes:

It's a lot more head fark to check the smaller turbos once they're installed cos they don't have a vband compressor or turbine housing. Still less of a head fark than having a busted turbo that's spat ground up compressor wheel into your intercooler.

The best thing to do for new customers is to have their turbo gone through by a workshop to ensure reliability, or you can do it yourself if you know how.

Going back to my karting days I tie wired everything. I reckon that'll sort the housing bolts backing out. Had the issue on the Garret as well, perhaps not just a Pulsar thing.

Note to the new tie wire players,

• Remove bolts, clean threads, re-install and torque down to spec. 
  • Mark all bolts where they are situated and also mark the most logical flat face for the hole to be drilled through. 
  • Remove all bolts and drill a 1.5mm hole through the bolt. You need to use a drill press on high speed (1400+rpm works). Best of luck with a battery drill, it can be done with a steady stance and good continual drill alignment. 
  • Do a good job, use logic with the hole placement and with the right tools and it can look very professional. 

Screenshot-2022-12-14-135010.png

(Google Image)

Screenshot-2022-12-14-134412.png

(Good price)

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Looks nice and neat man. A fair bit of work for the average punter but it's a once only affair and probably worth it in the long run. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I want more power, not sure how much more, maybe another couple hundred kw would be enough. Should I go twin gen2 gtx3582r or a bigger single? Both require a new exhaust manifold unless I got a G45-1600 in which case it would bolt straight on.

I already have a Garrett gen2 gtx3582r in a ford rear housing and I have another rear housing here so another supercore would be the cheapest option by far. That should make 150kw more I suppose.

Bolt on bigger single is a G45-1600, fairly affordable and literally bolt onto my current setup. Might make 75kw more.

A G55 is much more expensive, as much work as a twin setup but will stomp either of the other two options. Will definitely make the power and then some.

They will be Garrett turbos so I won't be buying multiple turbos from here out, sh*t gets expensive with genuine lol. It won't happen for a while but I figured I'd put it out there now so I can get a few opinions and ideas to think about. Cheers guys.