Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d

Car is sorted. I pulled a wg spring out so now I've got 14psi of spring in the gate instead of 19. It still makes all the boost cos 4 port but now I can turn it right down for a 98 tune when that comes about. I'll have to retune it slightly for the spring change with the E85 tune but that's easy enough.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I only went for a quick drive to check for leaks etc, didn't log it. My ethanol/wideband/boost gauge has a peak boost function and it touched 35psi which is pretty normal for a 34 psi tune. I'll get tuning in a couple of days and she should be sweet. Cars don't mind going down in spring pressure, just going up can make them run amok.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Back to the car related stuff, when I was working on the car yesterday I noticed the turbo didn't spin freely. I checked again today when it was back together and it was still tight. I ran it and eventually the turbo stopped spinning.

Looking story short the compressor nut was doing itself up and causing friction between the compressor wheel and the backing plate seal piece.

I fixed it and went for that short drive this afternoon. Rechecked it a minute ago and it's tightened itself up again. Inspected the shaft and there was a bees dick worth of Loctite on it, not nearly enough to hold it still.

Farken loctited the bastard, lined up the marks I had made on the nut and wheel and it now spins freely with fark all axial play.

Moral of this story is if you buy an Aeroflow or Pulsar turbo, pull it apart before you use it and make sure it won't come loose like both of mine have. The Aeroflow unit had the backing plate screws come loose and the backplate was rubbing the compressor wheel, for those that don't remember. Lucky I caught both of mine quickly and fixed them, 99% of users will end up with a repair bill for turbo repair and possibly a farked turbo to boot.

• Shocked 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

No worries lol.

Looking at my post it appears that the friction from the back side of the compressor wheel was causing the issue. Why is there friction in this place? There is the bearing, the seal housing piece then the compressor wheel. The bearing design is much different than a Garrett turbo, maybe the design doesn't allow for much leeway in the assembly process. The Pulsar and Garrett use a dual ceramic bearing cartridge whereas the Aeroflow has a dual ceramic angular contact bearing design that uses two separate bearings. Anyhow just thinking out aloud now.

Should still be able to pull the skin off the custard when it counts.

• Haha 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 26d

Wow almost like these are the kinda things that are skipped to reduce cost 😂

Good to know though! Will keep an eye on my pulsar turbo! Even still, I can buy two more brand spankers from pulsar before the cost is close to a genuine garrett. I'll take me chances 😂

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Haha I'm not sure saving a bit of Loctite makes much a difference :rolleyes:

It's a lot more head fark to check the smaller turbos once they're installed cos they don't have a vband compressor or turbine housing. Still less of a head fark than having a busted turbo that's spat ground up compressor wheel into your intercooler.

The best thing to do for new customers is to have their turbo gone through by a workshop to ensure reliability, or you can do it yourself if you know how.

• Member For: 5y 4m 20d

Poor man buys two pulsars! I heard that awesome aussie saying on here. I Mish matched a Garrett together. Actually bought a new Garrett gt3582r core that is supposed to have ceramic bearings and also bought a second hand cheap unused older gt3582r complete with .70 comp cover and 1.06 externally gated exhaust housing and swapped the cores out.