Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

The Turbosmart turbo oil regulator and Innovate ECB-1 have arrived. I've also bought a Bluestreak billet 6r80 planetary which will be fitted to the trans before the engine goes back in.

I have decided to upgrade the planetary gearset in the transmission as the stock ones aren't reliable at high horsepower. The stock ones have thrust washers that can run dry and weld together with extended high hp pulls, and when that happens they can break the gear housing and/or strip gears. Either way is not a good outcome and can destroy the front half of your trans. The upgrade has bearings which will keep the oil where it needs to be. While I do have spares I'd rather spend the money now and not have to repair it later when it breaks.

I'm looking forward to the kids going back to school next week so I can get out there and start making it happen!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I wasn't gonna do it but figured I'd rather do it now while the trans is easy to pull apart. I can leave the trans in the car to replace it, so much easier doing it now than having to remove the trans cos the engine is in the way!

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I snapped my input shaft at roll racing last year and sent my trans off for upgrades.

Mine now has a 6r80 input shaft, billet intermediate shaft, soon to be billet planetary, upgraded clutches, dominator modified high stall stock converter and a high volume pan.

There are a few more billet and upgrade parts that would go into a "fully built" zf. You'd expect to pay about 20k drive in drive out, minus converter, for the best zf available.

Fitting the planetary gear is easy enough. It would take less than an hour to do if the trans was on a bench.

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 21d

I've heard of previous "fully built" ZFs now having some other parts start to fail, I don't know enough about transmissions and what exactly is failing. But it makes sense. Not everything in the box is upgraded, so it stands to reason that they would also start to fail once other parts are replaced for more betterer ones.

But if I was given a quote of a "completely bulletproof" zf of 20k, I'd consider just going with a th400 lol

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yerp my box is rated to 800kw yet it still has a stock planetary in it. It won't break from the power but it will wear out from extended wot runs through the gears. Since my car is a daily driven AWD Territory that does bulk country miles, a th400 is not an economically viable option. I know you can run a lockup converter, use an overdrive, pick the transfer case ratios etc but it cost a lot more to do, haha I already looked into it.

Tl;Dr 500kw reliable built box is cheap, 800+kw reliable built box is not.

52 minutes ago, k31th said:

who's paying $20k for a fully-built ZF 😮 I thought they were more around the 10-14k mark.

I did say drive in, drive out. Fully built is just a phrase people use with varying degrees of accuracy. Fully built, to me at least, means using every billet part and upgrade available. After doing my research, I've found the cost of the parts to take a stock sh*tter to a fresh "fully built" reliable drag box is near the top of that price range, nvm paying for building it, fitting, fluids and tuning etc.