Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Nah haven't pulled the head off but while I was pulling the balancer I got an idea of the extent of the valve damage. There is still a bit of compression there so I expect most of the valves to be bent but not too much. I was decelerating when it let go and had it switched it off and into into neutral quick, so there should be minimal piston coating and valve seat damage.

HP Junkie oil pump body is intact but cosmetically damaged. Atomic crank sprocket is toast, exhaust cam gear has a couple of chips on it but can still work, custom machined Atomic timing guide is fine, the alloy fixed guide is snapped at the base. I'll have to go through the oil pump to check nothing went through it and fingers crossed it's fine there. Bottom end, head and turbo etc will be fine, the filter would have picked up anything that went through the pump and the turbo has an extra filter.

On the subject of the Atomic tensioner, there are wear marks on a couple of the teeth on the plunger, the spring lock has definitely been jumping over the teeth. Without the posi stop setup it would have failed much earlier. There is also significant marking on the inside of the timing cover where the M4? bolt has been backing out of the tensioner. There's only so much you can do with hardware that small.

I have more to say on the matter but that'll do for now :)

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

You don't usually use loctite on the oil pump to block bolts, but in the case of revving the piss out of it, it might be worth doing. The bolts only get done up to 10nm so they may very well shear off trying to remove them, if they are loctited.

In other news...me book arrived, I learnt one new thing that made no difference to the trans in the vehicle I'm currently tuning.

• Like 2

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d
2 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

You don't usually use loctite on the oil pump to block bolts, but in the case of revving the piss out of it, it might be worth doing. The bolts only get done up to 10nm so they may very well shear off trying to remove them, if they are loctited.

I remember hearing a bloke saying you should loctite everything, which would include these bolts ;)

Some good advice, he seems to know his sh*t

3 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

Loctite everything, even your wheel nuts

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d
3 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

In other news...me book arrived, I learnt one new thing that made no difference to the trans in the vehicle I'm currently tuning.

is it worth the cost?

everything I learnt about ZF's I learnt from you hahahaha