Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Member For: 19y 6m 26d

something not right there Puff.

ive been running a solid tensioner from day one, and Dion from Dynomite has always told me to run the chain tight, and I do. 

are you running an oem or billet guide?

Im just not so sure how the chain snaps like that. 

is that an Atomic posi stop? they are also having heaps of issues from what I’ve heard. 

very odd

Edited by Typhoon

just that they are having all sorts of issues with them, the posi stop included. Brad has even mentioned it in a round about way on a recent youtube video. I have heard of others having similar issues running a posi stop. 

sorry I can’t go into more specifics, as I don’t really know much more then that, but its the one common thing that keeps popping up. 

Is that the same tensioner you were running when it snapped the chain last time?

examine the tensioner carefully, I have heard of the posi stops having major failures

Edited by Typhoon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

No it's a different tensioner. The chain snapped last time because the oil pump exploded, lost oil pressure and seized the cam in the head. This time is appears to have snapped randomly, at least until I get it open and have a look.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It was an "atomic" tensioner from golebys, however it was just a factory tensioner with an A half assed engraved in it.

I had a quick look at the car again, rocker cover is loose, I can see what looks like indications that the tensioner failed. It has chipped teeth on it. There are a couple of chipped teeth on the exhaust cam gear too. Perhaps I should have wound the lock in further? I left it with a tiny bit of slack so it wasn't pushing on the chain too much and relied on the tensioner for the main tension, with the lock as a backup. I'll test this theory on the weekend with another chain I have here.

I'll pull it down in the weekend though, too farken hot to do it now.

Edited by Puffwagon
  • Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Cheers, I can guarantee you someone else/workshops have done the exact same thing in their development, we just don't hear the bad side of things, only the good.

At any rate I won't be reusing an Atomic tensioner going forward, I'll hit up DMP for a tensioner and chain when the time comes.

I run this one mate.

https://www.dynomiteperformance.com.au/product-page/mechanical-timing-chain-adjuster

An absolute *beep* to adjust, but once you do it’s fairly well set and forget. 

Do need to run a billet guide with it however as it beats the hell out of the oem cast item.

no issues, just need to always replace the oem guide as they are soft cast, we’re the billet guides are just tougher, and last.

The Atomic tensioners have got an absolute shocking reputation as of late.

Its been all over facebook

Use OEM or mechanical type,

With mechanical type the oil feed needs to be threaded and blocked.