Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d

It's what I had to do last time to get it to run 40psi, seems ok this time. Haha we'll have to wait and see for the number, it might not be today.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Places are booked out for weeks. Oh well, ya get that.

Edit: Booked in for 24th Nov.

Edited by Puffwagon
Why not?
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Got onto tuning my hot start today, after slacking off for a while. Should be more or less sorted now, it might need more work as I only roughed it in.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It is running pretty good but it isn't perfect.

The previous tune had locked VCT and it was more or less ready to go when I reassembled it. The cam timing was different with the locked VCT so that needed updating but that was about it. I also run a 4 port boost control solenoid now and that worked straight out the box with very little tune adjustment. Now that I have put the VCT back in, it was a friggin nother mountain to climb. I have got it sorted for the most part, there is a little bit more to do and it is 85% there. Heh if I actually went out and got stuck into it, I would have it sorted in no time, I cbf some days and there's no prize for finishing it sooner, plus it cost an arm and a leg in fuel.

The WOT tune is pretty much there, I can lean out a little bit in the transition to make it better though it doesn't need to be done, just should be done. Power wise it is next level at high boost, I don't really floor it anymore when I drive it, as it is too much. The converter means it pulls great at part throttle which is enough for daily driving.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah man, even worse using a stock pcm cos you can't live tune it. I have a good handle on it however and will post info in the future regarding the extra steps needed to dial in big cams with a stock pcm. Haha at the very least I'll post what I did and others can use that info how they choose.

There is so much to change that I haven't got to the fine details yet. It is better than the usual tune and drives great, but as mentioned needs work to be perfect. Haha it's gotta be perfect otherwise I won't be satisfied.

An aftermarket pcm will be on the cards for the future, not so much for ease of tuning but for the various safeties they have.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Today I decided to change my cam timing, even though it has VCT. Nothing too crazy happened, it just moved everything up in the rev range a bit. It still goes good off boost but I'm hoping it will make power up to 7k.

The downside to road tuning is you can't compare power numbers as easily. Having a looser converter means it plays havoc with virtual dyno, so it is ok for comparing but not so much for power figures.

I'll see how it goes on Thursday and the graph will dictate my next move, if any. Haha I hope it goes well but if it doesn't, I'm used to having to work through issues.