Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

I had a look at a video of it, seems pretty straight forward. Just did some calculatoring and the shear resistance is fark all better with the stronger bolts, it's the tensile strength that is much higher. I'll call Atomic tomorrow and see if they can help me out.

Haha I've already fitted the flex plate but I reckon I need the dowels now that I've thought about it. I'd be pretty pissed if I had to pull it apart again in 2 weeks.

Here's a pic anyway lol

RkyQJOm.jpg

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Well fark me, I'm gonna go out there and pull it off again. I'll get it dowelled one way or the other cos ain't nobody got time for sheared bolts. Plus I think my luck ran out on bolt number 5 today :)

Haha it's pretty tempting to run the tig around that inner circle there :w00t2:

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

So yeah common sense prevailed and I pulled the flex plate back off. Should have it sorted by next weekend, providing the weather is ok.

tGBnCBF.jpg

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Anything over 600kw needs Dowel pins as a pretty standard rule due to that shear torque being generated 

Atomic sell the full Jig and dowels for like $150 but what the fark is with your flex plate and the massive amount of material you’ve ground off it from the rim ? That things balanced within a % new and yours is now way unbalanced which is amplifying everything on that mating point. Despite requiring a full spot faced flat surface on both the crank shaft and back of the flex plate any imperfections is seriously reducing the capacity big time. I’m not going to preach to the choir but how many times do you want to re visit that job…. I’d assume not again…. Do it once, do it correctly bro. Clean the threads, use the right amount of loctie, torque to spec, re check after 30min and ARP bolts every time as they’re without any doubt the best for what they are 

Here’s one I did on a Built engine last month 

YellaTerra flex plate with Atomic Dowel kit as the intensions are plus 600rwkw 

BAmi2iJ.jpg

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Interference fit, they ain't going anywhere, it’s like having wheel nuts with no taper fit, they clean shear off as they rely on pressure and a Centre Boar to take the actual load off the wheel hence why wheel spacers are commonly a No No lol 😂 

Dowel pins take shoulder pressure, bolts hold it back and support that process 

Edited by JETURBO