Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

3hrs of meticulous work later, the cams are repaired and the journals in the head along with the cam caps are nearly there. Just a few more trial fits and adjustments then both cams will be spinning freely.

Very time consuming job by hand and important to get right, but you do what you gotta do when you don't have a line hone at home.

Got the block cleaned and painted earlier and finished the crank too.

R7K3pkE.jpg

• Like 6

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

When your engine detonates and the porcelain breaks off a spark plug, you're in for a bad day. One valve in particular copped it and thankfully only 2 intake and 2 exhaust valves got bent from the engine failure. Aside from that progress is being made.

6Z01zJH.jpg

Edited by k31th
fixed video
  • Like 5

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Update just cos...

A win and a fail today, the bottom end said yes and the head said no.

Main clearance has been increased via bearing choice and is sitting at 3 thou. The crank is now lubed and sitting in there with no girdle yet, with approx 20lbft just to keep it in place.

I've got some valves to replace the bent and chipped ones but a couple of the seats in the head are damaged and as such the head will get some work. If I can get the seats cut to suit the current valves that'll be great but I have budgeted for oversize valves etc so that'll happen if needed.

I pulled apart the pistons and rods then cleaned up the piston damage from the porcelain. It's very minor and only on the crowns so was an easy fix with a file.

Anyhow there's another session, pics cos pics, also hectic valve spring specs lol

huJwsoP.jpg

H2TLik8.jpg

nzXRAML.jpg

• Like 3

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah ring gapping is pretty straight forward but the beers certainly help when you're cleaning pistons for a couple of hours.

These pistons are getting a skirt coating as well as a crown coating and as such need to be cleaner than clean. They aren't there yet but here's a progress pic. Don't mind the swirl marks on the pistons, they need something to hold the coating so don't matter at this stage.

Also rings are gapped but I still need to go over them with a little file.

bHyVquf.jpg