Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Tiny update, managed to get hold of a set of rings for the cp pistons already in the motor so they'll be here soonish.

Also went and had a very careful look at the head and valves and some of the valves are indeed bent, even though it's not very noticeable. Pita but on the plus side there is room for an upgrade there too in the form of oversize valves.

In other news, Spool do a billet oil pump too now.

• Like 2

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

take 'em to an engine place and get them to do the filing down for you with one of those ring gap machine thingo's?... you only need to take a block (or they have a correct bore size example) and the pistons and the rings to measure the gap and adjust?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I have a ring gap machine thingo here to do them with the current block. Mine is a manual grinder which I prefer, as you can temper the end of the rings with an auto machine if you aren't careful. This makes the ends more prone to cracking.

It takes the same amount of time to do it with a manual machine and you can go too far much easier with a powered grinder as well. It's the same process at my house or the shop so I'll save the money and do it myself...still takes a few hours at a minimum though.

Also having seen how some places file their rings, I want to do it myself so I know the gaps are where they should be, and not a few thou too wide or too tight.

A long comment to a fairly simple sounding process but there is a lot of time in building an engine right, so yerp :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

ARP 2000 7/16 rod bolts or ARP L19 7/16 rod bolts

Worth the upgrade to the beefier ones or not bother with it. Gonna replace them either way and it's only a couple hundred more dollarydoos for the better ones.

Car is gonna be revved to fark but $200 saved is 10 goonbags on the cupboard...or so the saying goes.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I was gonna anyway but I like to hear what other people have to say about it.

It seems like a no brainer as it's only $200 more.

Still if someone has been revving their car to 8k regularly for several years on the arp2000's it's probably not worth the extra coin.