Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

Look…. It’s the things that aren’t said that add to the cost and these are the things that separate the big dollar builds with not only a Warranty but results… Warranty’s are one thing, getting the box in and out, shipping back and forth, oils, filters, labour hours are all non warranted and start to stack up on the 4th time it’s been in and out across the country for “Repair”

Been, seen, done the RVO thing more than once and all I can say is do “Everything” He says to maintain the warranty as you’ll need the fall back… use his tune and try not laugh too hard at it but if you deviate away from it you’ll have Zero warranty and some pre second hand parts too scrap from as the 6R80 conversion he does is from used salvaged Ranger’s ( Hence the Ranger deep pan and filter kit you’ll need at service time ) 

Can a cheaper ZF last… maybe, as you’ve done and seen at least on the TT torque split definitely helped keep it alive 100% and that was a factory box, wack in something with some bigger bitz and better clutches and yeh it could be done… hope it all works out for you Nath ! 

What I will say having just completed a full Monsta Torque stage 4 plus converter on a customers car with exclusive tune file /warranty/ results ( mid 8 seconds full weight FG F6’s ) that there’s so much more than meets the eye and more billet goodness than just shafts that went into this beast. Yeh it’s more than double RVO price but there’s some serious R&D that the big guys need to claw back and I’m telling anyone right now that the tune file is at least 40% of it and this is nothing like you would expect to see or create when you get it right… all of which I can tell you now wouldn’t come without many many R&D failures previously.. all of which costs $$$$$ 

#Unicorns 

#Tittiesprinkles

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Yerp I know there are more billet bits available, but for my power level it ain't needed. No need for a stonka box if I'm only making 650 to 700awkw. It's not a choice made from a financial standpoint, it's made from a "is it necessary" standpoint. For now it isn't necessary for a better box and realistically I'm not going to make any more power with the current setup.

As for tuning, I've done alright so far and RVO seemed pretty happy for me to continue to do my thing. I know a fair bit about what needs to happen and fwiw I know how to drive the thing too. I'm not about to just install the box and give it full send, I'll start with less power and build up on it so I get it tuned right and shifting the way I want it to.

At the end of the day the Territory was always a compromise car, as we needed a 7 seater but I wanted a turbo car. I bought it instead of doing up my Falcon with the intention of getting the Territory kinda quick, then moving onto the Falcon for something crazy. As it is I might have gone a little overboard with the Territory but hey it's all a bit of fun.

Love me some tittiesprinkles :)

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

Sounds like fun either way.
I'll put dibs down on the rear right axle (cv axle/shaft for some) dropping its pills or the transfer case does something with the chain...

I'm almost ready to burn mine if it wasn't worth so much atm!

• Gold Donating Members

Correct, all part of Rob’s meticulous package to deliver 800rwkw warranted and proven 6R80’s

I just had to complete 2150kms of run in with a 2750rpm limiter and zero highway kms, all 60kmh back street stuff. Totally painful but it all come together with his final Tune file and electric precision shifts now. 

It really is like nothing else I’ve ever seen/felt before and we’re only at mid 500rwkw with it currently but the desire for more is coming so it made sense to do it once, do it right 👊

There will be an update in my thread soon ;) 

4KOgh2Y.jpg

3gZ2T3X.jpg

Edited by JETURBO

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 15d
37 minutes ago, gaz097 said:

I found a video a while back that a montsatorque zf had a long run in period? The guy was on about re learning shift points etc.

Still true?

Depends on each transmission and how badly it was rooted when it came in for rebuild. The run-in period in mine was less than 500kms of non-highway driving, shifting manually. I spoke to Rob a few days ago and he mentioned some transmissions take forever to relearn, others do it within a couple hundred kms.

@PuffwagonThe stock 6R80 gearset is known to break the carrier/cage. They're not as strong as the ZF unit.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 22d

Damien explains it pretty well in this video about the run in k's for a MT box. Sounds so sh*t but required for a "happy" box.

After being taken for a spin in this thing after all the run in k's and what not, its insane. It drives the same, if not better, than my stock zf but when you get on it, its a whole different animal. Not even talking about the power, just how the box handles it is insane. The shifts are so damn smooth even at WOT. Absolutely crazy!

Definitely an overkill box though for most rigs out there 😂

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Haha looks like I'll be driving it around for a while then! There is a thing that you can do in the tune to help speed the re-adaptation up, so I'll have a frig around with that and see if I can get it shifting properly, quicker than normal.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members

Nah the 1-0 thing doesn’t work 

Just go by RVO’s run in procedures which I think were …. #SENDIT 😜

• Haha 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Haha yeah nah that ain't happening. It ain't getting a WOT pull until it's shifting perfectly and even then it wont be at full power until I know it's sorted.

• Like 1