Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

Ring that turkeys neck! I assume the speed limiter is in the pcm/tcm and not the dyno?
I'm not much help on speed limiters unless I want to kill myself on the highway and even then I'm sure the stock engine won't have the steam for 240kmh and 7000rpm... or will it!?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

The stock motor will get you plenty fast but revving it to 7 grand is asking for a bent rod or 3.

Considering the stock cams are done by 5500, 6000rpm is plenty for a stock motor.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It depends what you want. They are expensive, use more fuel and aren't really needed until you're making in excess of 1000hp at the crank. You also lose a lot of low down and mid-range power with the ones I got. I've lost about 150kw at 140kph in 4th gear.

I don't mind about the downsides though as it will be a monster when it's turned up for roll racing etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Hey nice one Nath 

Good sound from the 218c’s 

Ha, exactly the above statement is true 100% and many of us Barra tuners say the same thing with cams.... the trade off really needs to justify that top target goal ! 

I’ve always steered customers away from cams that are above FG profile unless the target is a genuine 650rwkw plus ! As the downside’s just not rewarding as the ultimate top end number. 

Can’t wait to see you turn this up on E85 now ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Thanks mate. Yeah those cams definitely tip the scales toward it being a race motor rather than a street motor. I can still make all the boost at 50kph in 2nd gear with antilag so it'll be ok for roll racing.

I've gotta chase a return restriction issue again, as the fuel pressure is to high and moving around. I must have kinked the hose or something as it was fine before I did the head etc.

After that I will fix the fuel in the tune...again...while still on 98 and then send it on e85. I've got numbers in mind but I'll let the dyno do the talking when it comes time.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

So for anyone who missed it, I modded my stock fuel rail a while back to feed from each end and return from the middle via a Turbosmart fpr2000. I used the quick connect from another rail and the little doodle hanging from it and welded that to the reg end to get a dual feed rail.

With the twin 525 intank pumps, both with separate battery/relay feeds I could still get a minimum of about 3.5 bar base pressure. This is great as the tune I use has a 4 bar base.

Before I took it apart for the head porting etc, the fuel pressure was stable at 4 bar and would rise 1:1 with boost. Now for no apparent reason it has decided that 6 bar is the new minimum. I've checked that there are no kinks and the lines are hooked up correctly.

At this stage it looks like I'll be taking the fuel system apart for checking, and maybe organize a proper sized return and drop the tank on Saturday.

Oh well ya get that sometimes :crazystuff:

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

Fuel filter full of crud, reg on the fritz or the return has a blockage?
Wouldn't be a tig weld ball slag on the inside of the oem fuel rail has come off and ruined your day?
Did you say you have the pumps staged via a hobbs switch or both going flat stick permanently?
I'm obviously spit balling here...

• Thanks 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I'm gonna run the return from the quick connect into a jerry can and see what it does. If it goes low it'll be a hardline to the fuel pot restriction and if it stays high it'll be a reg/line issue up there.

Both pumps are on all the time and I should really stage them. It would be just as quick to set up a pinout and stage them as it would be to modify the return.

Haha I was really hoping to not pull the fuel tank out again, but at least I extended all the wiring so it comes out easily.

• Like 1