Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

So yerp went for a quick drive yesterday afternoon and when I got back the coolant header tank exploded. It had melted a hole the size of a small coin.

I reckon the turbine housing was boiling the water in the header tank and letting it past the cap.

Also some water had been coming out of the breather from the catch can. I haven't emptied it for a while and when I checked it this morning it was full.

Bring that I've run a lot of E85 there was a fair bit of water in there.

I chucked an old turbo beanie on it for now and will get a shiny one whenever.

So yerp I reckon the head gasket is fine but I'll keep an eye on things for a bit. I'll tighten it down again when I chuck a set of cams in it ;)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

did you change anything to do with that scoop? if not, get another one from a wrecker and mount it better, imho...

• Thanks 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Not overly. Just removed some of the stuff underneath to clear the trans cooler.

8 minutes ago, k31th said:

get another one from a wrecker

Seems like a good idea.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d
So yerp went for a quick drive yesterday afternoon and when I got back the coolant header tank exploded. It had melted a hole the size of a small coin.
Didn't I say header tank delete...

As for the scoop, mine snapped from using the car bra but it was super brittle had been sickaflexed on in various spots apart from the bottom in the middle. I'd say the previous owner had the bonnet resprayed and the panel beaters didn't want to pay $5 a plastic clip for them...
I'll take a pic of how the new one is fitted now but from memory I used pan head screws and took the washers off cyclone roofing screws for them to grip a larger area. Painted black I rarely notice them and pretty sure I only use the black moulded inner without the rectangle rubber but will confirm today.
The next time it breaks I have nfi what to do as most wreckers won't sell just the scoop but instead the whole bonnet for around the $1k mark!
  • Shocked 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah nah I don't wanna delete the header tank. They are useful ;)

Yeah fark knows what I'm gonna do for the scoop. Probably drive around like a hobo for a while then maybe get jiggy with some sheet metal. Dunno and it's too hot to work it out for now!

In other news my arse has taken a beating this week. First gastro out the arse then a $400 e85 bill over the past 9 days. I'll be back on the dyno this weekend to sort out a 98 tune but might have a crack at 700awkw. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

I drove around for I'm guessing 8 months without a scoop. I plastidipped the area in black so it didn't show up like a sore thumb. New scoop is also in black plastidip as the seller on eBay had the wrong colour as my F6X trims even after repeated messages...
You could get full funky and just plastic bog the lower section. It's a retarded design as far as fixing it to the bonnet goes!
No issues ever wrt gastro bugs up here in Nth Qld. I did grow up in the Hunter Valley NSW so there isn't much that gets me anyway.

Back on topic... What transmission truncation do you input as mine has 10000 in all gears (I'll have to double check).
I've only just noticed that my LTFT and STFT are perfect with the AC off but miles out with it on (LT -10%, ST was -3 but went +3-5% when I had turned the AC back on). I never turn it off because you melt otherwise!