Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

Yes 75lt tank. I've run mine to a 70lt fill up but pretty sure it was well past the zero km till empty on the center console...
I can only imagine how much sludge is in the tank from almost 13yrs of quality Nth Qld fuel!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 11m 11d

while I was wiring up my ford dash into my Nissan conversion I found it has a light for absolute low fuel level, ive never seen one as the 0 distance to empty busser is annoying enough.

has anyone been game to runt here low enough to see the actual fuel low light come on?

• Donating Members

PW would have been the closest to seeing that light if he hadn't have nerfed the sensor.
I don't remember ever seeing one but I could put a 10lt Jerrycan in the back when the fuel gets stupidly low next time to see if there's a light.

• Donating Members

Seems like I'll be testing that out. I'm driving my car most days atm even though the trips are shorter than the time it takes my car to warm up the fuel trims are funky cold madina for some reason so chewing fuel isn't an issue! I only just filled up on Fri...

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 20d

I’ve ran a BF2 till the engine stopped and never seen that light but was still recording 13kms to empty when it stopped 

Previously I’ve seen fuel levels as low as 0kms to empty and still no secondary light 

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

I've run mine completely dry (BA N/A, BA2 F6, BA2 XR6T and BA XR6T) at going ~40-50km past 0 on the DTE (what can I say, I like to know the actual capacity of my cars; take a jerry can with 5L and run out deliberately) ... on the F6 after I changed the fuel pump I ran out at about ~20-30km past 0 on the DTE accidentally haha, which was a surprise as the engine was still idling but couldn't accelerate or put any load on it or it'd stall haha. On my first car (an AU XR6) it ran out about ~10km past 0 on the DTE, which was far more accurate than any B-series I've subsequently tried it in.

Never saw a fuel-related light other than the normal fuel light (the top-left on in BeerTurbo's photo) in any of these adventures of deliberately running out of fuel (or the one accidental time haha)

The standard "80km/40km/20km/etc" beeping is painfully early in the actual capacity of these cars, based on my testing of the above vehicles... No idea if Ute/Territory are different experiences, though, as the 68L tank in the sedan is obviously different to the 80L tank in the Ute or whatever is in the Territory.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 22d

Fixed the fuel sender today. Turns out that some wiring had been getting hot and had melted through the sender wire, hence it going haywire :badabing:

I replaced the overheated pump wiring with some thicc stuff and used bulkhead fittings for the elec feed. It melted after a trip around the block and after some consideration, I think the bulkhead fittings were coated with something as they were shiny af when I assembled it. Anyhow I'll fix that up tomorrow by using a separate battery feed and relay feed for each pump. Edit: and no bulkhead fittings.

In other news the "fuel surge" that I felt must have detonated pretty hectic like cos 2 plugs had dropped porcelain, 2 were ok and 2 had no porcelain at all on them. New plugs went in today and there aren't any extra noises so yerp, there we go.

A day of fails and hopefully a day of wins tomorrow. In other news I have some 2200cc injectors arriving on Monday or Tuesday, so all going well we will see a number that starts with a 6 next weekend :couch3:

Edited by Puffwagon
  • Like 1