Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Fitted the muffler this afternoon. It's a Hooker HK 21609 if anyone is interested. It's fair bit quieter but I think I might put another resonator in. Between me not being a great welder and the welder not being set up properly to start with, some of the welds are a bit average but meh, it doesn't leak or bang on anything so I call that a win!

Still not sure what to do tomorrow...either fit twin 525 pumps, start fitting the Aeroflow 7675 and make dump etc or refit the Garrett gen2 GTX 3582r so I can turn the boost down a bit. It's still on all the boost with the Pulsar GTX 3584rs and as such is not very well suited to 98 fuel with how it is currently set up. I spose I could just do a day of servicing and replace all the fluids etc.

Anywayz there is that and now it's time for can of the good stuff :beeer:

Uu3DUcT.jpg

• Like 3

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Well I got the fuel system sorted today.

With a bit of swirl pot engineering I fitted both Walbro 525 pumps to it. I ran a battery feed through a relay and put it all back together.

The result is a minimum of 5 bar base pressure through the stock fuel lines and Turbosmart fpr800. I tried winding it down and 5 bar is the new 4 bar apparently!

I put it on the dyno to fix the WOT afr from my reg winding antics, and it makes 6 bar of fuel pressure at 25psi boost, so it isn't far off there. It was dropping to 3.5 bar before. I'll give it a retune one day, but the trims are working and it idles at stoich no worries.

So yep there we have it, 2x Walbro 525 pumps in the stock location with a relay/battery feed.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I'm surprised that it all fit and I actually drove it home but there ya go. It made 385awkw today on 98 with all the boost and none of the timing.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I did a little road logging today to make sure the tune will work with the higher base pressure. The trims are doing their job, so it'll be fine to drive for any amount of time until it gets retuned.

The Pulsar GTX 3584rs makes about 33psi on a 2-3 shift at 0% wgdc (before, during and after the shift) so there's a fun fact for ya.

Anyhow that's about it for this lazy Sunday, so happy dayz :)

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

Solid effort getting two 525’s in that pot lol, something to be mindful of is most injectors have an absolute maximum upper pressure capacity of 100psi 

This is why you’ll see most big banger builds target 40psi base pressure vs out standard 58.5psi 

If you’re running excessive base 65-70 plus 30psi ontop you’re on the cusp of the injector not opening against head pressure, heating the windings up as the pressure it’s fighting is growing all leading to injectors wearing potentially out of balance and a heavily miss matched set in your built engine delivering what we assume is a balanced load of fuel but in fact isn’t. 

one of the reasons we stay away from 100% IDC in any case not to mention that the injector will heavily go non linear after 100psi 

Just be careful bro, FPR800’s are only good for a maximum of a single walbro 255 and one Pierberg as it’s rating is 800hp of flow dumping capacity and as intended the 525 is at least a 800hp pump on 98 fuel alone ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Cheers I wasn't sure it'd work but it did lol.

Yes the injector pressure limit was something that I brought up yesterday as it will be an issue in the coming weeks. I also pondered if the fpr would be up to it and was figuring that it probably wouldn't be. It's either the fpr or return line that is a restriction atm.

I'm thinking that a dual feed rail with a fpr1200 will be the next step. I'm thinking I'll use a bulk head fitting for a -8 or whatever return to the fuel tank.

I know that I've taken one step back to take two steps forward and I was kinda expecting it to work out like that, although hoping that it wouldn't.

I'm all ears if you have any advice moving forward, as I'm just working this out as I go mostly :)

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

Twin -8 feed rail is a good step and yes a bigger return fitting into the top of the pot will more than likely need to happen, Go for a FPR2000 mate then you should be mustard ;) 

• Thanks 1