Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 17d
1 hour ago, JETURBO said:

Nah I was more talking about what turbocharger was what for clarity, helps others keep up. The Graph I worked out no worries but to give you some insight work with high resolution on Torque whilst tuning as power is the product of Torque and the small gains will be amplified from Torque generation and that’s something street tuning will never notice ;) 

Re create to Power for reference and printing purposes 

GREEN - GTX G2 3582 1.06 38mm P&F T3 11.8 psi actuator

RED - Pulsar GTX3584RS 1.06 40mm P&F T3 15psi actuator 

So from that graph it’s glaring obvious the Pulsar out of the box turbocharger has less than ideal Port & flapper combination despite being advertised as 40mm ? 
Again the Garrett shows arguably more power for less boost 

But with the comments of less timing and gaining power after 6000rpm, what does this tell you about saturation of timing on your Garret tune ? Just because something doesn’t knock doesn’t mean it’s in an efficient timing mark against a boost target. Is Boost past efficiency or is timing non responsive or do you have a characteristic of the hardware/fuel/environment. If You data log everything and be vigilant with run procedures you should see where any and all of these factors change :) 

So far the Pulsar doesn’t seem great but for the money has similar characteristics as a Genuine Garrett GTX G2 which is a good thing, Maybe buy one with the provision to spend a few bucks on a better port/rear housing and it could be a win/win 

Ah fair enough, I was wondering if I was being clear enough.

Iirc the wg path just does a right angle out of the housing to the hole. It might be ok for the price with some work done to it, but running it straight out of the box is not ideal.

In regard to timing saturation etc, it was about as spiced up as it could be for the boost level ie: even half a degree more would have seen knock. Based on your comments I will approach it a little bit differently and see what happens.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Nothing like a nearly 40 degree day to do some tuning but it is what it is.

I put the car back on e85 today and after a bit of frigging around with fuelling and adjusting the preload with a crowbar, I got the comparison below.

After doing some lower boost pulls I put the wgdc map at 100% with a desired boost of 30psi to make sure it was 100% the whole run. I was running into fuel pump issues with the intank 525 dropping from 58psi on the reg to 50psi for the run. It was supposed to ramp up to nearly 85psi so there's something to fix/upgrade another day.

The plazmaman intercooler was doing a stand up job with iat's being about 12 to 15c above ambient through the run and 20 over at idle. Chucked some water on it and the iat's were 7c over ambient!

The garrett turbo on the previous run wasn't at full send either so there could be plenty more mid range to be had there.

GREEN - GTX G2 3582 1.06 38mm P&F T3 11.8 psi actuator

RED - Pulsar GTX3584RS 1.06 40mm P&F T3 15psi actuator 

5HCyiU9.jpg

• Like 3

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 16d

Well doesn’t take a genius to see a Genuine GTX has efficiency all over the knock offs as it comes on quicker and makes more on less boost. 

That said the Pulsar isn’t looking bad for 1/3rd the price. 

Good results Nath 💪

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Cheers mate it was worth a look and now we have an idea what it'll do. Not sure why pulsar state it's a 1000hp rated turbo when it's not as good as the 850hp rated G2 gtx3582??? 

Anyhow that's about all the testing I'll be doing with these turbos.

When a couple of vbands arrive I'll be fitting the 7675 so that'll be my next thing I do, along with a fuel system upgrade.

Happy days :happyfriends: