• Member For: 15y 10m 19d

What we looking at Puffy ? 

What’s what ? That graph is up the ying yang lol 

Edited by JETURBO
  • Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

So yerp ya gotta love waking up in the middle of the night with a farked ankle.

Anyhow I'm sure you've already worked out that graph Aaron but for those playing along at home, the top two lines are boost pressure which is referenced on the right hand axis. Fark knows what happened to the power part but the numbers on the top right of the sheet are correct, ignore the axis on the left. Follow the power plot lines (the bottom 2 lines) for a comparison. There is 2 degrees less timing the whole way through from about 110kph which is interesting as it picked up a couple of kw after 6000rpm.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

Nah I was more talking about what turbocharger was what for clarity, helps others keep up. The Graph I worked out no worries but to give you some insight work with high resolution on Torque whilst tuning as power is the product of Torque and the small gains will be amplified from Torque generation and that’s something street tuning will never notice ;) 

Re create to Power for reference and printing purposes 

GREEN - GTX G2 3582 1.06 38mm P&F T3 11.8 psi actuator

RED - Pulsar GTX3584RS 1.06 40mm P&F T3 15psi actuator 

So from that graph it’s glaring obvious the Pulsar out of the box turbocharger has less than ideal Port & flapper combination despite being advertised as 40mm ? 
Again the Garrett shows arguably more power for less boost 

But with the comments of less timing and gaining power after 6000rpm, what does this tell you about saturation of timing on your Garret tune ? Just because something doesn’t knock doesn’t mean it’s in an efficient timing mark against a boost target. Is Boost past efficiency or is timing non responsive or do you have a characteristic of the hardware/fuel/environment. If You data log everything and be vigilant with run procedures you should see where any and all of these factors change :) 

So far the Pulsar doesn’t seem great but for the money has similar characteristics as a Genuine Garrett GTX G2 which is a good thing, Maybe buy one with the provision to spend a few bucks on a better port/rear housing and it could be a win/win 

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 15d
That's actually back to front. Less timing means that more of the bang goes out the exhaust and spins the turbo harder. Generally speaking you add timing and the boost level comes down.

I would go a 66mm turbo for that power level. That's just my 2c though, there are other size turbos that will make that power too.
I understand the higher temperature out the exhaust but isn't this only in a very retarded state like on or after TDC? I would think timing means higher cylinder pressure which is why you see some tuners (Maxx Performance for example) use less boost and more timing so they install headstuds (I'm assuming here...) and others like CPV Tuning if David Sheehy still tunes like he does tended to use higher boost so again I'd assume less timing without headstuds.
I'm learning so correct me if I'm wrong but as you saw you had to pull timing to reduce boost creep but how much timing you have or I had idk?
Forever learning if I can retain it!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d
1 minute ago, bjc said:

I understand the higher temperature out the exhaust but isn't this only in a very retarded state like on or after TDC?

Every degree makes a difference and it's very noticeable atdc.

2 minutes ago, bjc said:

I'm learning so correct me if I'm wrong but as you saw you had to pull timing to reduce boost creep but how much timing you have or I had idk?

I had to pull the timing out due to the increased boost pressure. This is something that you do anyway but in my case I was already running very close to the maximum timing for the boost pressure so any more boost made it knock. Pulling timing out makes it boost creep more but knock is much worse hence the lowered timing.

• Thanks 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 11m 10d

this might be com pleatly irrelevant for puff situation, but when we were dynoing my ba na+t ute on e85 at a point every degree of timing was netting somewhere in the 20 rwhp difference (but also being a ba na motor its going to grenade if you lean on it, so the mid range was left verry soft)

• Like 1