Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

Make sure you take pics of the transfer case when you weld it as I have a spare one that I'd like to lock. My father in law could probably make something but welding it would be simplest...
Greggo had a true trac in his rear diff but even before that he kept having issues with the rear right (drivers side rear) CV axle outer almost removing itself. The boot would slit and fling grease everywhere as a warning for him to replace it before flinging the BB's around. He never bought the IMS diff hat and never had an issue except for a dodgy batch of superpro bushes.
His ZF was built though so his launches were likely all the territory could take.
I do have a video of his car flogging the Kosij boys by a country mile... Lol

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Yeah man I'll get some pics if I get to it. I reckon the best bet would be to lock the tcase and put a locker in the rear at the same time. That way the load is evenly distributed between the rear axles.

Based on how hard I can launch it now without even really trying, I think it would not be too hard to snap sh*t with a flat out 3 wheel locked launch.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 11m 11d

Dident you have a newer diesel terry gbox at one stage?

Did u ever see how hard the transfer case swap was? Arent they full rear with electric lock front? So they could do shopping centers, rwd launch then engadge awd grip mode?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

The SZ diesel awd has clutches in the TC but can't remember if it's solenoid or not?
I've got an lsd from a BA but just worried that it'll be noisy plus the fact you can't just swap the diffs over, you have to actually pull the gears and swap... I did get it cheap though as that makes all the difference right! Lol.
I "heard" there were lockers for the front but I can't find ANY info on it and the diff is tiny so it'd be a full time locker which is ok if you're driving on wet clay but a car park would be hilarious unless you revered it everywhere once there
Dudes looking at you like wtf is this rad munster up to as he's popped the wrong pills today! I could live with it for the hilarity factor alone...
Unless someone here knows Stathi (IMS owner) it's like a trade secret in his big power Terry's. As I mentioned before I reckon the airbag rears (with the sock over them) is the go to stop the squat which is majority the issue why the front blaze into sweet sweet smoke when launched so I really should buy them instead of continuously saying it here (I'm the king "gunna")!
@Puffwagon Have you tried leaving the traction control on when launching, firstly to see how much it imposes on the 0-100 and then maybe modifying those parameters to see if you can find a happy medium?
I only ask as unless I'm leaning relatively hard on the launch I just leave it on without issues that I feel. Given my car has nowhere near the power or torque of yours but that may be the way to go if traction control has enough modifiers in it to work effectively or basic fuel cut modifiers...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 11m 11d

from the little borg warner video I watched it just look like an electronic lock on the front transfer case to engage the awd.

when you look at the disassembly of the nv125 it looks like the front chain driven parts directly from the gearbox shaft and the rear is via the torque mechanism, meaning it would allways favor FWD.

I have a spare at home I have been meaning to weld, but given the car is a daily I think it would be unpleasant with a welded transfer. 

I fitted a LSD to the rear of mine, I needed to use the territory rear hat as the mount point was like 2cm of.. I cant remember if it was a ba/bf lsd ... but it fit fine.
I dont get any additional road noise from it?

I have airbags in the rear of mine for towing and they allways have about 5-8psi in them (25-30 towing), my terry does not squat....but its also no where near puffys level of crazy..mines only done 12.9's.

if I leave my TC on through a launch it will pull power through 1st and shift into 2nd early. if I turn it off its launches fine.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
30 minutes ago, bjc said:

Have you tried leaving the traction control on when launching, firstly to see how much it imposes on the 0-100 and then maybe modifying those parameters to see if you can find a happy medium?

I have accidentally before and it isn't good. It just goes blblbl choo. 

I cbf messing with it as I just leave it off and farken send it.

• Haha 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 15d

The upgrade to the NV125 is the pinion upgrade from 3 to 6 in the TC planetary and a Morse chain. Locking the transfer case will end up in something eventually breaking in the driveline. No different to running a 4WD in 4HL on butumen roads.

Perplexing how the rears aren't lighting up but the front are even with the rear biased torque split.

Edited by Romulus

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
4 hours ago, Romulus said:

Perplexing how the rears aren't lighting up but the front are even with the rear biased torque split.

I reckon it's due to the amount of weight transfer. It's only a rear bias, not a set in stone transfer. If I flog it on the gravel it will light up all the tires as there is no weight transfer.