Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

interesting decisions on putting the cooler there.

do you have any data vs std vs this with regards to temps?

I only watched mine for a week or so after installing my trans cooler (in-between intercooler and IC condenser) just to see what it does and it seemed to sit around 80 deg c?

I might pull out the stuff again next week as were taking a little trip down south and I'm borrowing a caravan. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I put it there as it wouldn't really fit anywhere else.

I do have a fair bit of trans temp logged on the dyno with the stock cooler but haven't logged it with the new cooler yet. Generally the engine would sit around 77 to 80c before a run and the trans would sit at 82c. After a wot pull the engine would be 90c and the trans would come up to 85c about 25 seconds later.

In a road log both the engine and trans started at 79c and after 5 minutes of driving around with a bit of lead in the foot, the engine had the same temp after rising and falling etc, while the trans steadily climbed to 91c. I have no doubt the trans would have kept climbing as I was adjusting the tune at the time, but the trans had locked me out as it was too hot to flash, so I went home. To be fair, if I did multiple back to back pulls on the dyno the trans temp would keep rising too.

The thermo switch is 75.5c apparently and it comes on and stays on from the little I've seen of it. I'll get some more data with the new cooler one day and report back with it then.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

So yerp back to the 98 life. I made it to the servo with literally 3 litres of e85 left, filled it up with 98, give it a quick tune and flogged it home. It's only on 17psi for tonight but will have it on the dyno tomorrow to dial it in a bit better. If I can get it over 370awkw with the stock exhaust I will be happy. The trans is much happier there which is not surprising.

Haha the first time the exhaust lit up I wondered wtf was going on, but then realized that I can shoot flames once again!

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Made 370awkw on 19psi. Took a few degrees of timing out for safety and ended up with 350awkw.

Still goes plenty hard enough and will use a lot less fuel when I stop flooring it everywhere.

Dat stock exhaust life :declare:

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d
16 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

Still goes plenty hard enough and will use a lot less fuel when I stop flooring it everywhere.

when you learn that secret, let me know im still struggling with it. 

19 hours ago, k31th said:

yeah, 98 is good for flames out the exhaust haha

there a f6 down the road from me, an the other day I heard him fanging it home, I live near the corner, so he stops and mildly takes off and as it changes into second a huge fireball out the exhaust.. got me wanting that fireball life. 

• Haha 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d
13 minutes ago, BeerTurbo said:

got me wanting that fireball life. 

no cat + 98 tune running rich on overrun and then accelerate hard but don't change gears and let the revs drop... flames for days

• Like 1