Built Engine (Strange Sound)

BoostedG6E

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 3d
CP Pistons

Gaz how long does it last though?
When your standing next to it, feels like forever.
Probably 5 minutes or so. Once water temp hits 70 odd is better, then once at 82 its basically gone.
  • Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

I was gonna make a post about this (thermostat temp on built engine) but no need lol. I'll get an 82c thermostat tomorrow cos it's not good to run too much piston to bore clearance.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 3d
I was gonna make a post about this (thermostat temp on built engine) but no need lol. I'll get an 82c thermostat tomorrow cos it's not good to run too much piston to bore clearance.
Atomic recommend a 71 I believe. Have an email somewhere.
I personally think that's too cold and 82 is minimum.
I ran a stock one for ages, and just changed recently to a 82.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
16 minutes ago, JETURBO said:

What happened ? 

What ya put in her now ?

18psi g2gtx e85. It misfired a couple of times at high rpm and sent the bore, piston and rod through the exhaust.

Bottom end is na territory block/sump (no oil cooler derp), spool drag pro rods and standard size bullet cp pistons w/ upgraded pins, has a girdle/machined caps, oil pump gears and relief/pressure mods, 360 thrust, atomic timing and flex plate, etc. Recon bf turbo head/valves, crow springs/retainers, stock territory turbo cams/gears, 1mm cometic head gasket.

The gtx turbine wheel got chewed up, so have swapped the gen2 back plate, comp wheel and cover over to the stock chra with a ported rear housing/larger flapper, and that 11.8psi garret actuator you sent me a few years ago.

Plaz territory front mount with plaz intake top half. Bosch 1000's, 460 intank, ts fpr800. Upgraded cat section w/ stock catback and stock dump, 4 inch intake w/ 9 inch k&n filter w/ battery under the guard.

It runs whatever (open loop) boost on the day but mostly 21psi on 98.

Sorry to take over thread :giverose:

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • Member For: 6y 2d

Hey all, thought I may aswell post in the same thread,
That first sound has seemed to go away since I got the tune done. Now I have a different sound that I could always hear but couldn’t seem to hear to much in the first video.

It doesn’t seem to affect anything in the aspect of how it drives, I’ve driven the car pretty hard with zero issues. Just wanting to know if it’s something people have heard before and have any insight on what it could be. This sound does go away after 2500rpm, the lower the idle the louder it is.

• 4 months later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Mine kinda sounds like that now, and it was much worse with farked cam phasers.

I'm swapping the rocker cover tomorrow so will have some idea of what's going on.