Built Engine (Strange Sound)

BoostedG6E

• Member For: 5y 11m 6d

Hey, Have recently bought second hand engine of someone which has only around 4,000k's. On start up and when not up to temp I'm getting this noise in the video. Once up to temp the sound seems to disappear. This video was filmed when engine was fairly cold and on a very cold night. I have heard of forged engines being louder than normal on startup but did not except it to last so long. Also has a TBRE cam and has not been tuned yet.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

either a pulley or a rocker... doesn't sound like it's affecting the way the engine is running in terms of smoothness, so it makes me think it's a pulley.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

That's piston slap from being not fully warmed up. Mine is the same and it goes away after it's warmed up.

Fwiw I'm running a 71c thermostat and I think that a 82c will be more suitable as the engine is very slightly quieter after I give it a hiding.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 6d

Yeah, that's the forged assembly. Mine sounds the same on cold start, running fine 40,000 kms later and 480rwkw. Usually only lasts minutes at most.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

This is why Atomic have had to step up their game as customers just couldn’t accept the fact a $20,000 engine made so much of a racquet on cold starts

Atomic now have special design Cosworth pistons with zero noise but worth over $2000 a set 😬

Mahle power pack pistons are imho one of the quietest for typical piston money so have a think of you ever go to swop em out ;) 

6 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

That's piston slap from being not fully warmed up. Mine is the same and it goes away after it's warmed up.

Fwiw I'm running a 71c thermostat and I think that a 82c will be more suitable as the engine is very slightly quieter after I give it a hiding.

What happened dude ? Did you pop the TT donk ?