Grinding like noise from the turbo.

Cobden91

• Member For: 3y 9m 17d

Hi all, 

owner of a September 2016 FGX xr6 turbo. At the start of the year I was doing stage 3 upgrades to my car including everything that comes with doing the oil pump. The only thing that wasn’t really done was the turbo itself being upgraded. I’m only running at 340rwkw just for some fun and without putting too much pressure on my gear box. This was done in February 2020 and it’s now June and for a few day’s my turbo has been making such a horrible noise. On starting my car it sounds high pitched and after the first blow off valve release it’s no longer high pitched but “dry” sounding. When the car is off the turbo is still spinning and sounds like it’s grinding away for roughly 30 seconds before stopping. I asked a mechanic and they said it’s being OVER supplied with oil because when I put the new braided oil line in, I didn’t remove a filter in the block, I wasn’t even aware I had to and would an over supply make it sound dry? I’m very confused as to what to do next. I could Always buy a new turbo but I don’t want to run the risk of this happening again and wasting 4/5k. 

Thanks heaps for any help. 

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

There is a restrictor in the turbo so you can't over supply it with oil. The filter in the block should be removed as it can get clogged causing UNDER supply of oil to the turbo which is a common cause of failure. The noise you are describing sounds like that and if the filter is the cause, it will happen again on a new turbo.

Remove the original filter (remove the oil pressure switch and oil feed line from the block - is a cylindrical filter help in by a circlip in the fitting you remove). Then put it back together without that filter.

Does your new line have an inline filter? That could have blocked too.

Before you start the car, crank it with the oil feed disconnected from the turbo itself to confirm you have sufficient oil flowing through the line.

• Like 1

• Member For: 3y 9m 17d

I said to the mechanic I would of assumed it was under supply but didn’t argue with him.

I will have to try that ASAP. My braided line came with its own filter too, I ordered it through process west.