Sprint 6 upgrade - GTX3582 or...?

saturnine_07

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

If this thread single handily doesn’t show how much of a immature person Arronm is nothing would.

Why even bring your useless B/S into general threads regarding general questions Arron ? Seriously no one gives two Chits and no one thinks your “so cool”

Your an old man, fruck off and tell all your mates at the Pub how cool you are 😐

Since you’ve always had a crack at nearly every single persons mods/tune/Dyno sheet let’s have a look at your “Magical” witchcraft sheet.... Shall we ? 

Barely makes 2 psi against the roller - That’s actually really appalling for a GT3582 

Takes up until 5000rpm till it makes 15psi ... That’s terribly laggy 

Power comes over and can’t even pull until redline... Yep what a winner ( performance head that can’t flow past 6000rpm, yeh killer sign me up for one ) 

Boost can’t even be commanded and held flat... Basic tuning/set up of turbocharger specifics ... ( can’t wait for the excuse on this one )  

Power generation down low is pretty average and nothing is showing exemplary efficiency here as depicted by the Torque displacement 

What you actually have is a “Dyno queen” tune as I doubt a “Fully Built Nizpro” F6 is missing some vital hardware that your tuner is allowing for and can’t ramp it in hard and fast  🤣

Looking forward to you replying to each above statements with facts, know you’ll just sprout off about some totally unrelated issues but you ... Go Girl ! 

To the bloke who started this thread, Sprints are a good package, I’ve got 414 of 500 and Some might say I know what I’m doing in regards to modifying and tuning Turbo falcons ... Yes the magical 400rwkw zone typically falls just short on the factory turbo GT3582 on 98 fuel so unless it’s tuned Really lazy like old mate above’s graph or on E85 it probably wont do it with full list of mods. Common safe ground is about 18 psi & 360-380rwkw with the GT3582 on the FG/FGX platform 

A GTX3582 G2 is what you will want to keep as close to characteristics of the factory turbo but have enough support to see the 400rwkw target. This is a well walked path and yes other turbos are on the market that can do it but it’s a more expensive option, characteristics change, manifolds might need to be purchased and the list can go on ;) 

Typically a punter will want to get to a target with the least amount of outlay and least amount of stuffing around but yes experiment and left of centre options can generate results too... many ways to skin a cat especially if you’re a king killer big wheeler cat peeler :) 

Cheers

Edited by JETURBO
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 24d
11 hours ago, arronm said:

true, but it reflects the ability of my tuner, and the claims I have made. 

Hey, are your tuner and Ottway still mates? Haven't heard from him lately. They're still getting along, right?

• Member For: 17y 3m 16d
16 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

I've got a gen2 gtx3582r making 18psi by 3000rpm on my territory, if I roll onto it in third or so. It doesn't really go nuts until 3500 though. Further to add, if I just stomp it from a dig it will make 26psi in first gear by 4000rpm but driving along will make 21psi by 3100, so imho it's not too laggy, especially once you're moving.

This is probably as close to best case as you will get with that specific turbo, you might get a few hundred rpm earlier spool with a decent exhaust system. It's not kind to your drive-line or rods to bring it in that fast, so a lot of tunas will bring it in more gently.

If you're worried about lag then PCMTec has rolling antilag and launch antilag. You can leave with all the boost, or with the rolling antilag just build boost and let it rip!

#ZfLife

Good practical experience. thanks for the advice. Definitely looking towards PCMTec so will consider antilag.

16 hours ago, Bulletime said:

Or try the new g35 900 from the new garret g series. Same size as the 3576 but should spool the same or better and hit mid 400s.

One other guy on the forums going to give it a try, pretty new for the falcon, currently only vband so probably have to buy a complete turbo and manifold. Ill keep my eye on it and hope it becomes a well worn path in a year or two with a few more fitment options.

If you have the sprint u could just give it a mild tune and leave it mostly stock. Hard to resist though I understand, but will be hard to find an unmolested one in the future.

Fwiw gtx3576 gen 2 on e85 have seen at 420, did a 10.8 quarter. Unsure its 98 figure, but the difference in my gen 1 is 43 up too so would be somehwere around 380, maybe less if not full exhaust.

Also pcmtec dont recommend holding launch control for too too long as it cooks your turbo

thanks for contributing. I'll ask the tuner about g series turbskies but if they require a manifold and other mods too, it may get a bit too spendy.

I know what you mean about keeping the sprint stock or close to stock.

I've owned the thing since new and have agonised over if I should mod it or not.

One thing that I keep coming back to is that I don't plan to sell it in the future so any potential reduced resale value isn't really a factor. In that case why not make it exactly as I want it? its just too tempting to have one of the best platforms for mods ever made in this country and to keep it stock.

Having said that, we all know plans are made to be changed... and that's why I'm really only looking at mods that are reversible and I'll keep all the stock parts.

• Like 3

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Hop over to the forum and Roland will be able to direct you to your closest PCMTec tuner.

IMHO if you do choose PCMTec, just get a normal tune first and see how you like the power delivery from the turbo.

Getting the antilag feature costs more credits and will also take more time to set up in the tune, which will also cost more in turn.

In my experience with the stock turbo and also the gen2gtx, the launch antilag is awesome, the rolling antilag is great in first and second but with a 35 frame turbo it's not needed once you're already over 60kph, cos the turbo will be on nearly instantly with a downshift or with enough rpm. It works in all gears but the hit is not nearly as hectic in the upper gears.

• Member For: 17y 3m 16d

I've got a tuner in mind that uses PCMTec.

that behaviour sounds interesting.

I'm guessing its just a total smoke show on the street with street tyres? Also, how do you activate it? Cruise buttons?

6 hours ago, JETURBO said:

To the bloke who started this thread, Sprints are a good package, I’ve got 414 of 500 and Some might say I know what I’m doing in regards to modifying and tuning Turbo falcons ... Yes the magical 400rwkw zone typically falls just short on the factory turbo GT3582 on 98 fuel so unless it’s tuned Really lazy like old mate above’s graph or on E85 it probably wont do it with full list of mods. Common safe ground is about 18 psi & 360-380rwkw with the GT3582 on the FG/FGX platform 

A GTX3582 G2 is what you will want to keep as close to characteristics of the factory turbo but have enough support to see the 400rwkw target. This is a well walked path and yes other turbos are on the market that can do it but it’s a more expensive option, characteristics change, manifolds might need to be purchased and the list can go on ;) 

Typically a punter will want to get to a target with the least amount of outlay and least amount of stuffing around but yes experiment and left of centre options can generate results too... many ways to skin a cat especially if you’re a king killer big wheeler cat peeler :) 

Cheers

Thanks for responding. I was hoping you'd jump in and offer some advice.

In your experience, are there any turbo's that would hit 400rwkw on 98 with better spool characteristics than a GTX3582? This is with the usual supporting mods (valve springs, head studs, injectors, fuel pump, dump/cat/exhaust).

I'm guessing the answer is yes, but that they might not be a bolt on to the factory manifold? And maybe they aren't the tried and tested turbo so might need a bit of test and learn to get the right package?

I think the easy answer is probably the original answer: GTX3582 and with some PCMtec antilag magic should be plenty good enough for the street.

Edited by saturnine_07

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Ah ok no worries.

I've got awd so it has spun the tyres the whole way through first a few times with the stock turbo, but mostly just spins a bit then hooks up with the gen2. I should probably make it a touch more aggressive now to fill in the boost threshold gap from the bigger turbo but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I can guarantee that it would be a smokeshow with rwd.

Yeah you just pull the cruise control button in and it activates a set of different maps. As soon as you release the button it goes back to normal.

The cruise control works as normal but you need to be aware that turning the cruise control on or off while it's within the rpm range will activate it briefly which causes a tiny drive-line shunt.

I'm still somewhat of a noob when it comes to using all of the PCMTec features but there are detailed write ups over there.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 6d
4 hours ago, saturnine_07 said:

I've got a tuner in mind that uses PCMTec.

that behaviour sounds interesting.

I'm guessing its just a total smoke show on the street with street tyres? Also, how do you activate it? Cruise buttons?

Thanks for responding. I was hoping you'd jump in and offer some advice.

In your experience, are there any turbo's that would hit 400rwkw on 98 with better spool characteristics than a GTX3582? This is with the usual supporting mods (valve springs, head studs, injectors, fuel pump, dump/cat/exhaust).

I'm guessing the answer is yes, but that they might not be a bolt on to the factory manifold? And maybe they aren't the tried and tested turbo so might need a bit of test and learn to get the right package?

I think the easy answer is probably the original answer: GTX3582 and with some PCMtec antilag magic should be plenty good enough for the street.

The Precision 6235 spools better than the gtx with similar top end capability - at least from the results I got. Used to be a lot cheaper than the gtx, and can use existing ported rear housing.

For a street car I think you may be better off with a gtx3576 mk 2 and accept 360-380 rwkw on P98. The bigger turbos are only worth it - where you will really notice a difference - when you go 450rwkw and have a set-up that can support it safely.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
29 minutes ago, sixman said:

The bigger turbos are only worth it - where you will really notice a difference - when you go 450rwkw and have a set-up that can support it safely.

That's a very good point but they also make 400 on 98 which so far are hard requirements.

A bigger turbo will also have enough left in it when the bug bites.

Still it's always worth having a yarn about it to see what's good.

A turned up gen2 76 is gonna be a metric buttload quicker on the street than a turned down gen2 82.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

What state/area do you live? Sorry if you already said.

Someone on here will probably take you for a spin or let you drive so you can see what the difference is.