Sprint 6 upgrade - GTX3582 or...?

saturnine_07

• Member For: 17y 3m 17d

Gents

I have a Sprint 6 and am looking at doing some upgrades.

Goal is 400rwkw on 98. Given its a Sprint I'll keep stock airbox and crossover. Go with a stepped cooler, valve springs, head studs, pump, injectors, dump/exhaust etc.

To achieve 400rwkw on 98 I understand I'll need to do some turbo mods as the stock 3582 won't make the power.

I've been recommended going to a GTX3582. From my reading this turbo will make 400rwkw on 98 every day of the week.

This isn't going to be a drag-strip monster. I want it to be quick on the street off the line. I don't want to be waiting around for boost to come in later and get dusted by smaller turbo cars until I'm making bulk grunt at high speeds/powerskidding when a heap of boost comes in later.

My question is, are there better alternatives for a street driven car to achieve 400rwkw on 98?

Thanks for any advice.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

GTX3576R can make ~400kW on E85, the Gen2 version supposedly a bit over that and spools as fast as a stock FG XR6T GT3576R so would be close to 400 on 98.

but a stock GT3582R turbocharger can make 400kW at a stretch on 98, but it's at about it's limit.

Thanks for the welcome.

Registered 13 years ago(!) and only just made my first post. Fair to say I'm a long-time-lurker. haha

yeah don't want to run E85 to hit 400rwkw and from what I've read on here, a GTX3576 won't get to 400rwkw. Most say somewhere between 350-380rwkw on 98 which is shy of my goal.

My only concern with going to the GTX3582 is that I've read on here a GTX3576R is a quicker street car off the line cause it gets up and boogies earlier in the RPM range.

for sure, and in normal circumstances I'd be inclined towards the GTX3576 with the expectation that it has a greater area under the curve.

but my goal just has to be 400rwkw.

seems a huge jump between the GTX3576 at 350-380rwkw and then the GTX3582 at 500rwkw+

Isn't there a goldilocks turbo that sits inbetween?

Edited by saturnine_07

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

There might be a precision turbo that fits in the middle somewhere nicely, but it's not easy to spec those as exactly as they're not as prevalent in the XR6T community. You can probably get a hybrid sort of GTX turbo.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 16d
2 hours ago, saturnine_07 said:

but my goal just has to be 400rwkw.

Any particular reason if not running it down the strip.

The GTX3576 is definitely the "off the line" traffic light race turbo... especially if you aren't going to be racing people up over 130-140km.  Nobody is going to know if you have 380kw or 400kw.

• Like 1

yeah, Sprint's are numbered cars right? and the car is numbered in the low 400's... hence why I wanted roughly 400rwkw. Just feels right.

guess this is one of those cases where you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Thinking about this a bit differently...

How will a tuned GTX3582 compare to the standard GT3582 with regards to lag?

Anyone got any experience there? Given the GTX is newer tech I'd expect it to be slightly better? Thoughts?