350kw but not much wheel spin

danielknox281

• Member For: 6y 10m 10d

Yeah all stock bottom end and apparently ba Conrods love to bend with high tourqe and low revs. I’m making my boost and tourque at high revs and maybe that’s the “safe” aspect of the tune. I guess that’s how the ba barras were designed, whereas the fg barras have the smaller turbo, come onboost quicker and have the stronger bottom end to handle it.

Has anyone heard of people running around 15psi at the 350kw mark on a ba turbo I motor?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

A restriction can drastically change how much power is made from 20psi. Some tunes will push the parts way outside their efficiency zone which is ok to a degree, but will give lower numbers compared to a higher efficiency part. Examples: Stock cooler vs large tube and fin front mount, stock exhaust/cat vs turbo back 4 inch, stock crossover vs turboside cai, etc etc.

A dyno readout can also vary quite a bit.

At the end of the day it's running 20psi and providing the tune is safe/ballpark, the number doesn't matter.

Fwiw, imho 20 psi is too much for a stock motor. It might be fine for years...or not.

• Like 2

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d
59 minutes ago, spook said:

I have no reason to doubt the tune as was done by a reputable tuner

this is true... but reputation doesn't guarantee a good quality tune... who knows what may have caused this sort of tune to happen.