barra swap or buy XR6T?

• Member For: 3y 10m 20d

I am looking at the two possible options. 

1. Buy a FG XR6T and looking to modify to get 400KW with Intake/exhaust/fuel pump/ fuel regulator/fuel injectors / intercooler / gtx3282 turbo / Valves / ecu 

2. Buy a barra and do a swap with above parts into something different I have been looking at swapping into a VB Commodore.

Since I would be looking doing quite a few modifications to an XR6T. What would be the best option? 

Edited by ehowitt

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

obviously the easiest option is an FG XR6T as that list of mods is fairly up a known alleyway of success, especially if you add valve springs instead of valves, head studs and oil pump gears.

If you want to go the hard and more satisfying route (or you just love the body style more or something), then option 2 is the way to go.

Thanks. Yes think it will definitely be alot less work to go down the route of getting a fg xr6turbo. 

Have also been thinking about getting a bf xr6t as there is a big difference between cost. Especially if I'm planning on modifications would I see alot of difference between the bf and fg?

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 29d

Commmodore will be a lot faster at 1300kg.  I had a VH group 3 back in 83 with a 350, turbo 400 and 9 inch. Fast car back then. Had 450 at the tyres. 

Edited by arronm

Yes. Think the amount of work needed and would not really be something that you could take away for the weekend.

I have therefore settled on getting a BA/BF or FG XR6T. My question is how do the BA/BF and FG compare as I can get a BA XR6T and put $10k of mods for the price of the FG with not alot difference in km traveled. What would be the best option?

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 3d

Having owned both, get an FG. Stronger motor and big improvements in handling and transmission. Baby turbo is great around town and in the twisty stuff. Injectors, cat and a tune and you are suddenly over 300kw for under $3k.

B series are a great car though if you do go that way. Just remember BAs and pre 06/06 BFs will have weaker rods which will limit how far you want to push them power wise.

• Like 1