BA/BF ECU Serial Numbers and Compatability

Bionic Beast

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 4m 4d

Hey, So I just picked up a t56 manual conversion for my BF XR6. I got an ecu that has "BF XR6 Manual" Written on it but in the serial number on the sticker it has "BA". Is there anyway to tell if its BA or BF by the serial number or is there somewhere with a list or a place I can search to make sure I have the right one as I've heard the pin-outs are different between the two? Or did I just get super lucky and it just happens to say BA and I'm being paranoid? Cheers for any help.

I've also heard that NA and Turbo ecu's are different and NA ones don't have boost control features even with a tune. Can someone confirm this?

This thread could aslo help others in the future with any confusion. Again, cheers.

Edited by Bionic Beast
Added another question

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

The auto and manual turbo-specific ECU's (they're called a Powertrain Control Module in all Ford documentation, so if you see PCM that's what it means) are the same other than the flashed data onto them (which is called a "strategy", sometimes).

A lot of parts have "BA" on them when they're for BF. It's just a Ford thing. Nothing to worry about there.

The N/A and Turbo PCM's are definitely different as the N/A one doesn't have the entire 3rd plug that on a Turbo PCM would contain the plug-in point for the entire turbo-control loom.

• Donating Members

Ah okay, The PCM has 3 plugs but so does the one on my NA BF, Is it just the unused turbo loom? So the one I have is definitely BF, just not sure or turbo or not now....

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Well if your PCM has 3 plugs then you surely have had somebody who's changed it to a Turbo and then back again at some point. If you have a loom for a turbo running from near the windscreen washer and across the front of the engine bay over to under the battery and beside the battery underneath the coolant bottle then you've got a turbo loom in there, too.

• Donating Members

Hey mate, Surely that's not right, I had a look and no turbo loom like you said just the main fuse box loom running along the back of the front chassis bar and straight into the fusebox. I also had a look at my mates NA BF and he has 3 plugs and looms too. Maybe they changed them from ba to bf?

• Donating Members

hmm, hopefully someone chimes in and sheds some light. As of right now I'm thinking maybe the BF NA/turbo had the same PCM just the NA didn't use the turbo section/loom. Cheers for the help though