Temp gauge 04 ba

bourbon

• Member For: 3y 11m 3d

I've recently bought a ba xr6. It's had a few mods done under the bonnet . One I don't know why is the thermo fans are hard wired to run all the time,so as soon as car is started fans operate. 

The temp gauge doesn't work at all at any engine temp and red temp light comes on after a few minutes of running. Coolant level is correct and engine is not over heating / running hot . 

Im wondering if rewiring the fans has had an effect on temp gauge,any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I got out of the mechanics caper 23 years ago and do not have much knowledge when it comes to late model electrics.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

wiring the fans on wouldn't cause a temperature warning light, but might have been a dodgy workaround to a temperature problem manifesting.

if the temperature gauge doesn't work at all, then you've got a different problem that should surely be fixed by replacing the relevant sensor.

• Thanks 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y

You'd think maybe the cylinder head temp sensor was dead, preventing the gauge working and preventing the PCM from switching on the fans. Previous owner then hard wired the fans as a work around.

Light is probably coming on once the PCM realises it isn't getting a valid signal from the CHT sensor as the temp isn't increasing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1