Ignition Timing 27psi on E85

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 6d

If your not a tuner, hoe come you have your own dyno??

Tuners generally regard their work as IP, usually they dont share much as it will cost them in the long term.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Try the PCMTEC or Haltech forums too. On The PCMTEC one at least, there are plenty of other pros, hobbyists and DIYers who are generous enough to give others advice as to whether or not you are in the ballpark or sometimes you even see people share their maps. Obviously you need to make sure whoever you are listening to knows their stuff.

If you read heaps and take a safety first, incremental approach to making changes you'll get there.

• Like 1

• Member For: 3y 10m 18d

Dyno is there for diesel tunes and upgrades. However never really take on petrol jobs due to lack of knowledge. Now that the cortina is done, I’m wanting to get my head around the haltech system and also the non diesel/boost tuning. I know this forum has a lot of experienced guys so assumed I’d be able to get some base info from.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 7d
2 hours ago, RNUMUK said:
Totally agree with trying to get help through a tune shop. I have my own dyno and would like to get this process done on my own.....even with paid help from a tune shop. Unfortunately it seems like it’s majic they’re not willing to give the secret to. 

I understand that you tune using the MBT method starting from a safe 10 degrees or less under boost. At the moment I am tuning to 26psi and have changed timing from 12 to 14 with no change at all with afr at 7 the whole way through the rev range which I think is bang on however no increase in power or torque. No knock since fuel is E85 but am assuming that it should be able to take more timing. So instead of possibly “sending Rodney to the moon” I’m trying to get some other examples of timing to ensure that is where my max timing advance is. It just seems low with E85. 

Seams rich , assuming your at 0.7 lambda.

I would think you would be closer to 0.8 lambda

What type of torque numbers are you making, and what dyno?

• Member For: 3y 10m 18d
8 hours ago, gaz097 said:

Seams rich , assuming your at 0.7 lambda.

I would think you would be closer to 0.8 lambda

What type of torque numbers are you making, and what dyno?

7.4 should be my target lamda however power increase is not responding with timing and other adjustments so trying to keep it on the rich side for now. 

best power so far was 440kw with 1250nm of torque.......something here is not adding up. I’m assuming either the torque or power reading is incorrect. When I started to wind boost in the dyno actually started to lift at the rear showing the torque numbers are actually up there. I’m going to try and get the car on another dyno (preferably a hub) and see what happens. If it’s roller slip it will be obvious. 

dyno is a mainline 2wd600L 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d
6 hours ago, RNUMUK said:

Was trying to last night, couldn’t work out how to post with the required URL?? Please let me know how to post video/photo and I’ll flick some over

instructions to post pics are here -> https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/92470-how-to-put-images-in-your-post/