Ignition Timing 27psi on E85

• Member For: 3y 10m 18d

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and have started up my bf atomic built Barra in a Te cortina. I have this on the dyno and I’m not real sure on ignition timing since my Backround mechanical knowledge is in the diesel field. Mods are listed below:

Atomic built 698kw engine

bosch 2200cc injectors 

twin Bosch 535 running E85

precision 76/75 

PWR W2A cooler

FG intake

custom exhaust manifold

turbosmart 60mm waste gate

turbosmart bov 

2 speed glide 4500 stall

3:5 9inch 

any help would be appreciated. Any tuning tips especially with timing. Thanks in advance.

Edited by RNUMUK

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 7d

No tuna, but I'd start around 8-10 and keep adding till it stops making power.

Be interested to see where you get to. Be surprised if it takes any more then 14 in the mid, and 17 up top

Again I'm not a tuna, just logging cars and talking to people.

Thanks for the reply and info. Any other ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. 

I’m trying to have a base limit from responses to avoid maybe overcooking it and sound damage. First time dyno and petrol tuner.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

You're going to have a decent uphill battle with regard to gaining knowledge on this tuning platform. Have a read of this thread for an idea on what you'll need to know in terms of basics: https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/84077-jets-tuning-oh-no/

Thanks for the info gents, I haven’t given all the info as this is my first time posting.

tuning platform is an haltech elite 2500 and my tuning Backround is diesel and still fairly limited. I’ll post some pictures of the car

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

The fact you’ve asked the question means you’re far away from realising this isn’t a question you can actually ask but a result you will generate. 

This will give you some idea you have loads of research in front of you before you even think about taking to the Dyno. Everyone starts somewhere and the way you’ve asked the question means you are really unaware vs someone who knows but is fishing for data ;) 

Google how to correctly set up timing scales/maps and hardware required to do so. The Haltech platform has a neat logger but don’t be fooled thinking it’s a Genuine Knock tuning tool but more of a tool to reduce timing on a knock event and threshold of limits more so

After 30 solid minutes of google you’ll know why but the BARRA is unique and the Haltech ESP software is only as good as you are so definitely engage with a tune shop whose willing to help you or even set it up for you first 

• Like 1

Totally agree with trying to get help through a tune shop. I have my own dyno and would like to get this process done on my own.....even with paid help from a tune shop. Unfortunately it seems like it’s majic they’re not willing to give the secret to. 

I understand that you tune using the MBT method starting from a safe 10 degrees or less under boost. At the moment I am tuning to 26psi and have changed timing from 12 to 14 with no change at all with afr at 7 the whole way through the rev range which I think is bang on however no increase in power or torque. No knock since fuel is E85 but am assuming that it should be able to take more timing. So instead of possibly “sending Rodney to the moon” I’m trying to get some other examples of timing to ensure that is where my max timing advance is. It just seems low with E85.