BA NA to Turbo Conversion Tune

smokingcold

• Member For: 3y 11m 15d

For a BA N/a to Turbo conversion using all factory gear. 

Would getting the PCM flashed to the stock turbo tune via SCT/HPTuners/PCMtec with an independent boost controller (bleed valve), Turbo Logic turned off and a 2 bar MAP sensor have any issues? My understanding is that Turbo Logic is the factory boost control option using the boost pressure sensor in the piping and solenoid for the wastegate which requires extra wiring etc. that I don't have.

Around how much would it cost to flash the PCM to the factory program?

I know a full custom dyno tune is the best choice but don't have the coin yet and dont want to lean it out on an NA tune and map sensor

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

There's no point doing anything like you've suggested without the money to replace the motor as even if you get it running for your "lack of coin" then you'll be lunching the motor in no time at all. Sell up and buy a turbo vehicle.

• Like 1

So even with the turbo strategy it'll ping its head off? itll be sad if every WOT the knock sensor makes the ecu pull all the timing out lol

I've heard of people going that way with success, so I think itll work for the months until I get a dyno tune

Thanks for the help k31th,  

Ive had a little play on hptuners looking at the differences between the BA na & turbo tunes and it seems they have different knock detection tables etc. which I hope will compensate for the high comp a bit. 

I would feel better if there was a way to dial in a slight retard, will an sct xcal x4 be able to adjust this post-tune?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

you need to do a lot of reading haha you're right at the start point.

the xcal4 is just a handset that allows you to change tunes yourself and put it back to factory tune. it requires somebody with SCT tuning ability to do any tuning for you.

hptuners can just flash the pcm with a custom tune.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d
58 minutes ago, k31th said:

basically, yes... higher compression N/A motor means it'll ping without a proper tune.

dont forget it will melt those pissy valves on normal petrol eventually

20 minutes ago, smokingcold said:

Thanks for the help k31th,  

Ive had a little play on hptuners looking at the differences between the BA na & turbo tunes and it seems they have different knock detection tables etc. which I hope will compensate for the high comp a bit. 

I would feel better if there was a way to dial in a slight retard, will an sct xcal x4 be able to adjust this post-tune?

stock falcon ecm is going to detect knock events and do some retarding, if it sees lots of events it will also do a more permanent sh*t fuel timing map retard assuming you put 91 ron in your car.

the problem is, on your ba+t engine, with a turbo, by the time the ecu has detected knock and pulled timing, your thin rods proberly already bent.

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 7d

Running an external boost controller, or alternatively make it run gate pressure ( which is easy)should keep boost levels super low and might keep it alive.

What's b series gate pressure. 3psi or something.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 3y 8m 21d

Hi, how are you progressing with your build?

I'm attempting to do the same, NA to turbo on my 05 terry. Already mounted the front intercooler and piped it under the headlights. Picked up a universal kit, bends and connectors for only $260.

Found a stock ba turbo and injectors for $350.

Fitted used turbo front brakes for $400.

I'm going to weld up a full mandrel 3.5" ss exhaust system. $700 in parts.

So exhaust, turbo and piping are all sorted. 

I bought the stock turbo Map sensor and plug to make up the wiring crossover. 

Could any of you kind gentlemen please  point me in the right direction?

Do I need a boost sensor? Because I can't find any existing loom and I'm only going for stock boost.

If I buy an xcal x4 or x3, are base turbo tunes available to download somewhere?

Has anyone got tips for drilling and tapping the sump? 

Many thanks