Extreme flat spot

Rive_mk2

• Member For: 5y 5m 27d

Hey guys.. I have an 07 BF mk11 xr6 turbo it's stock but with dyno tune and no cat.. when I hit boost in 1st and second it's fine but when I'm in 3rd gear at 4000+rpm the car just looses all power and starts to really idle rough and comes good again once cars turned off and on.. what possibilities could this harbour?

How much would valve springs be? It's just thrown a check engine light after I showed my friend what it's doing.. would valve spring fault show on scan tool and would it cut out in 1st and second pulls not just 3rd? Thanks again 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

valve springs cause rough idle after you've just had a breakdown up in the boost ranges or even sometimes if you've thought boost ranges was OK then if it idles rough straight after then fixes itself after a moment of simple driving... so it might not be valve springs, based on what you've said.

It'll go from 4,000+ rpm to barely an idle.. I have to pull over and turn car off then start again then it drives fine until again 3rd gear 4k rpm just doesn't like it and shuts down and now thrown a code. Spooky

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

should happen straight after a 2nd gear pull then slow down to idle and it should be a bit rough... that's a sure sign of valve springs being soft.

Yeah it does you're right.. if I go sequential mode and give boost in first and a bit in second as I come into third it Goes to sleep. My examoles before was rolling on boost ib third.. how much for springs one would say? 4 or so hundere.. are they hard to fit?