When to consider oil billet oil pump gears

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 21d

Hey all,

owned my rig for just over a year now, she’s a 2010 xr50th turbo. All too familiar with the common issues these cars can have so one of the first reliability/piece-of-mind things I did was to rid the trans cooler and replace with an external one. Next on my mind is oil pump gears. At what point should one consider upgrading the gears? It’s bone stock but will be getting stuff done next year once the extended manufactures warranty expires.

in a stock setting how likely is it that the pump gears will explode? Not done any limiter bashing but I do enjoy “spirited driving”. 
Would it be better to wait till next year when the car goes in for some power mods or get it done sooner?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

Pump gears will be fine until you're upgrading it to above 350-400rwkw levels. It's always cheaper to upgrade it all at once.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Reckon the stock turbo will get to that? Looking to push it to its limit and then move to a gen2 3582 after I’m bored with the setup or the stock one breaks 😂

it’s done 115k so I don’t think the stock one will last too long pushing its limits 

cheers for the info though @k31th, very helpful as always 👍

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

stock turbo maxes out around 320rwkw in an FG XR6T on 98, maybe a little more on E85, so no, it won't go that far... stay on lower boost (as you can smash a lot of boost in the middle rev range with that turbo) and it'll make low 300's safely and nicely. if you upgrade the turbo you'll surely want to upgrade the pump gears along with it for safety.

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Yea that’ll be the plan then. See how far I can push it as is now with some bigger injectors, maybe add a fuel pump. Suss it out then move to the big boi turbo later on 😂