Retune or no need?

BJSXR6TMKII

• Member For: 3y 11m 11d

Hey guys, I have a ba xr6t MKII 6 speed manual, I've owned it for 2 years and recently spoke to the first owner of the car who told me it was pushing 16psi when he had it and that he'd put all the goodies into it, walbro fuel pump, 1000cc injectors, valve springs, it also has an upgraded intercooler, when I purchased the car the guy had a boost controller in it and was running 12psi but he removed it before sale and put it back to 5.5-6psi, my question is would I be able to simply buy and connect a new boost controller and pump it back upto 12psi with no hassles or do I need to have it retuned?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

short answer is no, you can't just throw a boost controller in there as it's likely the previous owner also flashed the car back to a factory tune when he removed all of his mods before sale (the previous owner might not have removed the fuel pump or more of the mods, but you'd have to confirm). You'll have to get it tuned to whatever hardware it has in place, especially with fuel flow increase items.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 5d

It has to have had some tuning done if it has aftermarket injectors. There's no need for an aftermarket boost controller on these cars as the factory boost control can do the job in most scenarios.

Given it's history, definitely take it to a reputable tuner to at least check AFRs and what injectors and other mods are in it. If that all fine and you want more boost, then get it retuned.

Edit: posted at the same time as Keith. In summary, take it somewhere and find out exactly what it's hardware and tune setup is now before you decide what's next.

• Like 1

• Member For: 3y 11m 11d

The guy I bought it off had it advertised as 240rwkw so I'd imagine the injectors, fuel pump etc are still there as I would imagine it would be a process to remove it all and replace with standard and he didn't seem to be a bloke that likes doing a great deal to be honest, will a reputable tuner will be able to tell what mods have been done pretty easily? Im happy to have it retuned just want to have it running at its full capability 

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 5d

Yep definitely.

They will be able to look at your existing tune and see the injector data and what is in the boost map. Then a run on the dyno will probably cost $100 or less and tell you whether the fuel system is keeping up with the current boost.

It is a good practice with any modified car and plenty of these cars have seen the inside of some pretty average tuning shops, so good to make sure everything is nice and safe for your motor.

• Like 1