Torrington thrust bearing install

HI PSI

• Member For: 17y 10m 24d

Having not ruled going to an auto in another vehicle, I decided to install a Torrington thrust bearing in my new forged engine. Just in case..

cbmgZJX.png

The block is a series one FG. It is a standard Barra crank, which has been nitrided, machined and balanced. The crank is 10/10 which has ACL 360 degree thrust bearing. The crank was dummy fitted to the block with number one cap installed. The crank was centered between the face of the 360 degree thrust bearing and measurements taken.  At this time we noted that the Torrington bearing has a larger I.D than the crank snout  (I can't remember exactly what that was, but I'll update that in a later post).

We removed crank and machined around 0.250" of  interference material from the crank. This left us with 0.004" thrust before the Torrington bearing take pressure on the block.

When  machining the crank we machined it to facilitate a 0.003" clearance between the I.d of the bearing and the crank, essentially recessing the bearing and race into the crank. Unfortunately he amount of material removed  was not wide enough to support the bearing and both outer races  (Pictured).  A hardened steel sleeve has been manufactured and will be shrunk onto the snout, then machined to match the step. Unfortunately we ran out of time on Friday and had to leave it at that.

Hopefully, I'll have some more updates  Monday...

Crank in lathe, ready to remove interference material.

zthBNs6.jpg

Front race unsupported after crank machining.

MmWBfXn.jpg

9tgcbTT.jpg

Edited by HI PSI
  • Like 1

• Member For: 17y 10m 24d

Thought that it might interest some....

Btw, it was arouns 0.100" that we mackined, not 0.250".

Edited by HI PSI