Walbro 450 fuel pump

Regany

• Member For: 5y 11m 6d

No worries man let me know if you have any questions along the way
I don’t think it’s needed because no one ever told me I had to do it, but I was not comfortable with how tight the filter was when it came together with the cradle so I trimmed this abit which gave me some play.

9964d64e32eb4feb2c0d85d909d42304.jpg
c9006701ff5e44e1f3b39bc0add92554.jpg

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 22d

I put a walbro 460 in over 2 yrs ago with no wiring or regulator mods and my fuel pressure gauge has never shown any pressure fluctuation. 300rwkw fg turbo

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 27d
with the lower amount of amps being pulled by the stock wiring, the pressure doesn't get ridiculous... if you upgrade the wiring of course that's likely to happen.
@k31th
Mate that's a dumb answer.
An electric motor will pull all the amps it wants to depending on load on it. These cars don't have voltage or speed regulators.

Yea the thing may cook the stock harness before fuel becomes an issue but it shouldn't be used as a safety that's for sure.

A 460 or similar pump needs a wiring upgrade and a fuel pressure reg at a minimum.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Its not his fault, he has limited knowledge on most subjects. But occasionally he gets it more right than wrong. :lololol:

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d
On 03/04/2020 at 3:59 PM, bupalooga said:

I put a walbro 460 in over 2 yrs ago with no wiring or regulator mods and my fuel pressure gauge has never shown any pressure fluctuation. 300rwkw fg turbo

29 minutes ago, OZYWALKER said:

@k31th
Mate that's a dumb answer.
An electric motor will pull all the amps it wants to depending on load on it. These cars don't have voltage or speed regulators.

Yea the thing may cook the stock harness before fuel becomes an issue but it shouldn't be used as a safety that's for sure.

A 460 or similar pump needs a wiring upgrade and a fuel pressure reg at a minimum.

that's not what I was saying, though... nowhere did I say it should be used as a safety, all I said is that at lower power levels (lower fuel flow and lower amps for the wiring) it's a fairly safe situation, as per what bupalooga said in his REAL WORLD example.

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 27d

Not fairly safe mate.
Not good at all, stock wiring is pissweak and will melt with decent pumps.

Not even worth saying it is ok.

I've seen aftermarket harnesses melt when they're rated for these replacement pumps.
Size your wiring for the pumps full load and allow for the meterage that's required. It's not worth skimping out on.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Doesn't the pump run flat out regardless of the power? Just means more fuel coming back via the return. So a 460 is working just as hard in a 300kw car as a 400kw car?

• Like 2

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

I put in a kpm 700hp in tank fuel pump, it's a 540lph pump, comes with a replacement higher flow regulator and it drops straight in and plugs straight in. No mods required, I was very suspicious about it frying the wiring and plugs and quizzed them about it, they assured me they had the package sorted and had done all the r&d. I fitted it myself no worries.