Walbro 450 fuel pump

Regany

• Member For: 4y 10m 17d

Hi Guys just wondering when upgrading to a walbro 450lph fuel pump in a fg f6 do you need to upgrade the wiring or will it be able to handle the amps that it puts out? Also will it require a new regulator? And if so when fitting a new regulator do you just set them to 4 bar on stock tune before heading to tuners ? Cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 7d

it's reasonably fine to have a basic lift pump (255lph) on the stock fuel pump wiring, but a 450 is pushing it and you'll be wanting to think about upgrading the wiring.

you don't strictly need a new regulator until over 400kw.

if you get a new regulator, yes, you match the fuel pressure to stock (which is correct at 4bar) and then head to the tuner... or get the tuner to fit it.

• Member For: 5y 11m 26d

Definitely should upgrade the wiring.

Here’s how I did it works well. Only thing I changed from this photo is the earth to the seat belt buckle instead of next to the cap on the cradle.

8b5c17c8f8c44c95524698680c93f944.jpg
da7b8fa6278c1825c6670058ac759741.jpg
ed062a450dbb08d4c4cbae0f3d5f29ee.jpg

• Member For: 13y 7m 27d
it's reasonably fine to have a basic lift pump (255lph) on the stock fuel pump wiring, but a 450 is pushing it and you'll be wanting to think about upgrading the wiring.

you don't strictly need a new regulator until over 400kw.
if you get a new regulator, yes, you match the fuel pressure to stock (which is correct at 4bar) and then head to the tuner... or get the tuner to fit it.

Stock regulator with a 450 will not be able to return the excess fuel to the tank fast enough and then the pressure will go through the roof.

• Member For: 13y 7m 27d
Yeah I’m not talking about power levels, I’m talking pressure. The 450 flows so much fuel that the stock reg return becomes a bottle neck and you’ll see pressures around 100 psi not 58

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 7d

with the lower amount of amps being pulled by the stock wiring, the pressure doesn't get ridiculous... if you upgrade the wiring of course that's likely to happen.

• Member For: 4y 10m 17d

How many kw are you making boostedg6e with drilled out reg? Was it a big job to do wiring did u run it from battery back with fuse and relay ? Or splice into the original circuit somewhere ?

• Member For: 5y 11m 26d

Car made 440RWKW. Yeah Power and earth straight from the battery, put everything through passenger side firewall grommet then through passenger side kick panels. and relay and fuse is mounted in my first photo, Tapped into the original trigger wire for the relay. Fuse wasn't put in at the time of the photo it was put in just after. my brother is the wiring guru I just helped out man so can't comment to much on the difficulty but was all done in a day. That's including modifying cradle drilling the new holes to fit the bulkheads.