3Katz

Is a GTX3582 the best option?

The current setup in my RTV is a stock BA Turbo with FG cams and Atomic springs. I am using a Typhoon cooler, the turbo is a Hypergear ATR45 and we're at 260kw through a BTR. It is a good combo and fun to drive but I would like to do more racing at Willowbank.

I am in the process of having a forged bottom end built with ARP gear to hold it all together, I have a PW stage 2 kit ordered along with the hot side piping. I would like to use the factory intake and exhaust manifolds and keep it internal gate with a 4" dump. It would be great if the current turbo were up to the task of maximising the new setup but I'm not sure it will be. I realise I may have to get my auto built, if I do it won't be with a high stall convertor as this is still my daily driver. What would you guys recommend? I have done lots of reading and am leaning towards a GTX3582 but have no experience in selecting a turbo...

I should have mentioned I will have a good fuel system but can only run 98, e85 is not an option where I live. 

Unless this project takes a different turn I think the GTX3582 will be fine for my purposes, just spreading out my cost timeline at the moment. Strange times we're living in... 

Yes seems like a good thing, looking forward to surprising more Commodores in the old farm ute once it's finished and the tracks are open again

5 hours ago, Tom Tucker said:

I want to see what a G35-900 does. If it does what it claims I.e. 900hp flow with a 62mm inducer that has better response than a standard GT3582, then it'd be spot on

I'm also curious.

Autotech recently tuned a Subaru that made 450rwks with a GTX3584RS, customer wasn't happy with the slow spool (Circuit car), so they tried a G35 (900 I think)

It made just under the 446rwkws but came on a hell of a lot earlier.

Customer was very happy.

I'd love to see a G35-900 on a falcon

I’m going ahead with the g35-900 engine builder and tuner said it’ll be great for my power level. I’m looking forward to trying the g series turbo

was originally going to put a gen 2 gtx3582r but have heard really good things about the g series turbos. 

are you going to use the stock exhaust housing? it'll spool the same as a stock GT3582R, roughly, then.

I don't think it fits, completely different turbo.

Will probably need a custom exhaust manifold aswell

1 hour ago, TUF6 said:

I’m going ahead with the g35-900 engine builder and tuner said it’ll be great for my power level. I’m looking forward to trying the g series turbo

was originally going to put a gen 2 gtx3582r but have heard really good things about the g series turbos. 

How much power are you chasing?

For the G35-900, this link: https://www.full-race.com/store/garrett-turbos/garrett-g-series-turbos/garrett-g35/  says that it's a 62min/68max millimetre turbine wheel.

For the GT3582R, this post: https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/58603-turbos-on-the-fg-falcon/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-951377 says it's also a 62min/68max size turbine wheel...

That makes me think it'll fit... but of course there's always a risk it'll be weirdly shaped in reality.

Im buying the turbo complete with rear housing 1.01 and it’s going on a 6 boost manifold. They’re v-band to dump and manifold. 
g35-900 comes with 62mm 1050 is a 67mm wheel. 

car was making 400rwkw on 98 before I got the motor built. I’m happy to keep it around there. Thinking of runnin 3 boost settings. Low mid and high. Happy to go up to 500-550 on e85.

Keen to see how this setup goes on a barra

I would imagine you'll smash out 550+ without any issues when the wick is turned up, interested in how responsive it is

May well become the 'next' gtx

I'm also curious.

Autotech recently tuned a Subaru that made 450rwks with a GTX3584RS, customer wasn't happy with the slow spool (Circuit car), so they tried a G35 (900 I think)

It made just under the 446rwkws but came on a hell of a lot earlier.

Customer was very happy.

I'd love to see a G35-900 on a falcon
This makes me pretty interested! I also track my falcon and the gtx 3576 gen 1, I dont think I need more power but had thought the gen 2 if ever but something that spools better than the 3582 and has a bit more power than what I have could be something to look at in the future

G series turbos just seem to be upgraded versions of the gtx but yeah looking forward to spoiling it up. I heard they’re quite turbos though? May have to do t51r mod lol

I feel like quiet probably means more efficient as there are less blades inefficiently cutting through the air having friction that make noise.

Looking forward to seeing the results, especially spool comparisons.

Just an update 

car has been dropped off at the tuners to get finished off. Hoping to have the car back within 2 weeks but it’ll be on a run in tune for 500km

search motive DVD on YouTube, they uploaded a comparison video for Garrett turbo’s. 

Picked up the car yesterday from the tuners. Just on run in tune at the moment, made 373rwkw on 15psi. Turbo sounds tuf as.  Tuner reckons it’s gonna be pretty responsive. Once motor is ran in gonna go back for E85 and see what it can do. 

On 09/08/2020 at 9:07 AM, TUF6 said:

Picked up the car yesterday from the tuners. Just on run in tune at the moment, made 373rwkw on 15psi. Turbo sounds tuf as.  Tuner reckons it’s gonna be pretty responsive. Once motor is ran in gonna go back for E85 and see what it can do. 

Really interested to see how this goes. Send it! 

Didn’t get a dyno sheet but will defs have one on final tune. I don’t even know how to upload pictures yet lol

On 10/08/2020 at 6:54 AM, cat007 said:

That's a decent amount of boost and power for a run in tune haha.

Have you done anything to the head?

Yeah it’s driving pretty good lol. 
head studs valve springs. 
built motor.