Building a new motor

Joshua Fletcher

• Member For: 4y 11m 17d

Hes guys, I am going to build my own engine. Just after any advice or suggestions on parts I should use such as pistons and rods, cams, oil pump gears. Im wanting around 400 to 450rwkw. Also any information on getting the block machined would be awesome. Im a 3rd year apprentice and have never built an engine before and want to give it a go. Thanks in advance

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

Properly tuned on e85 with appropriate bolt-on mods, you can push that much power through a healthy stock FG turbo motor with a set of valve springs

If you're set on building your first motor, personally I'd be practicing on a few taxi donks first vs. learning with expensive parts but that's up to you.

What trade are you doing?

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yep, you need precision equipment to properly build an engine. watch subi-performance on YT for just a rough idea on clearancing, sizing, stretch etc when building engines.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 7d

Built motor will allow you to make way more power lower in the rpm range, then a stock FG motor. Think 25psi+ in the mid.

Gregorys manual has all clearances on there and is a good start point for bearings etc.

Pistons come sized to the bore. Ring end gap will be on the bit of paper with the pistons.

If your skilled you can't really I <3 Bananas up following the Gregory manual.

As for parts. Spool for value, atomic for good stuff. Look at there different levels of engines, and go from there.

Pistons, rods, studs, pump gears, valve springs, timing chain and sprockets.

• Like 3